• May 16 / Girls Varsity SoccerLiberty High School - 0, St. Dominic - 1
  • May 15 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 4, Timberland - 1
  • May 13 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 12, Howell North - 2
  • May 13 / Girls Varsity SoccerLiberty High School - 3, Zumwalt West - 2
  • May 11 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 1, Westminster - 5

Severe Weather Impacts the St. Louis Metro Area

Residents brace for impact as a severe weather system approaches
Anthony Rey
Weather alert recived as a strong storm system moves in early Tuesday morning.

This past Tuesday, residents were awoken to sirens sounding out and EAS alerts on their phones warning of an incoming tornado. A severe weather system has been moving across the United States as of late Monday night and continuing into early morning the next day. Meteorologists at the National Weather Service (NWS) spotted rotation just short of 50 miles northeast of St. Charles County. This prompted them to hastily issue a tornado warning for the surrounding areas at 4:24 a.m. This prompted many residents to seek shelter without much notice besides the tornado sirens and phone alerts.

Tornadoes can be deadly during the day, but at night they are even more dangerous. These storms are highly unpredictable and do not follow a set pattern or path. Many people have lost their lives by assuming they know where the storm is heading, when in fact, it may be heading towards them. The absence of light and the unpredictable nature of tornadoes makes them extremely hazardous at night.

Meteorologists are warning that the season of hazardous weather is just beginning. The St. Louis metro area is expected to receive more rain, hail, and possibly strong tornadoes. Missouri is located in tornado alley, so it’s best not to take these warnings lightly and wait to take action until you see the proof of a tornado. These warnings are only issued when the National Weather Service (NWS) is certain that there is a threat to life resulting from the incoming storm.

We strongly advise taking precautions to minimize property damage and loss of life in the event of severe weather conditions. With the onset of the hazardous weather season, it is crucial to remain vigilant and alert when weather conditions start to look dangerous.