Filed under Opinion, Showcase

Becoming Involved

Spirit weeks and other school-sponsored activities promote academic success and a better attitude.

Students+dress+up+for+the+beach-themed+Homecoming+game.+The+students+who+get+involved+in+fun%2C+school-wide+spirit+weeks+helps+to+build+a+sense+of+community+and+involvement.+
Students dress up for the beach-themed Homecoming game. The students who get involved in fun, school-wide spirit weeks helps to build a sense of community and involvement.

Eradyn Bailey

Eradyn Bailey

All through the school year there are themed spirit weeks where the student body has the chance to go all out and have some fun. Some students are wholly dedicated to showcasing the pride that they have during these spirit weeks, while others loathe the very thought of them. Why don’t more people participate it in them?

Whether the spirit week is beach themed or Great Gatsby themed, no one can deny that it makes school much more interesting. It’s a way to break the monotonous cycle of a regular school week and follow fun age-old traditions with your peers.

Not only does it make school more amusing, but it is proven that school spirit has direct correlation to academics and attitude in the school environment. The more spirit a student has, the better they perform academically. According to a study conducted by the National Federation of State High School Association, 89 percent of students and faculty see a relationship between school spirit and achieving highly in terms of academics. Possessing school spirit also improves the attitude that students have towards their school. The students get involved in fun, school-wide activities (such as spirit weeks) and it helps to build a sense of community and involvement. The students who are more involved tend to be the ones with a more positive attitude towards school.

Academic success and positive attitudes are byproducts of something as simple as participating in spirit weeks, then why don’t more people participate? The “I’m too cool” mentality is the most common reason. What’s not cool about succeeding and having fun while doing it?