• May 2 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 10, Lutheran St. Charles - 1
  • May 2 / Girls Varsity SoccerLiberty High School - 3, Holt - 1
  • May 2 / Boys Varsity VolleyballLiberty High School - 3, Troy - 0
  • Apr 30 / Girls Varsity SoccerLiberty High School - 4, Zumwalt East - 0
  • Apr 29 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 6, Troy - 0

St. Louis Continues its Soccer Tradition With City SC

My experience about going to my first sold-out City SC soccer game
Charlize Rossow
Right before kickoff before the match against Austin FC. The new and modern City Park stadium established in 2023.

St. Louis has a long history of soccer and it all started in the middle of the 20th Century when they achieved national distinction in the US Open Cup and the National Amateur Club. In 1967, the first fully professional soccer team was established called the Stars. Over the years, St. Louis had additional teams come and go, but the latest team has so far been the most popular and successful. St. Louis City SC is the newest team in Major League Soccer and and joined the Western Conference in 2023.

Me outside of the CityPark stadium in my new team jersey from the shop. (Charlize Rossow)

On Sunday, April 15, St. Louis City SC won 1-0 against Austin FC. City extended their unbeaten streak in the MLS to five games. In the standings, City is 8th out of 14 teams in the Western Conference.

Now about my experience from visiting the game as a fan for the first time. Kickoff was at 3:45 p.m. and all 22,423 seats in the CityPark were sold out. Every home match so far has been a sellout and the team ranks in the top 10 in league attendance so far this season.

Entering the stadium it was really crowded and all the fans were excited for the start of the game. The fans were in a good mood and it was a great time. Everybody was cheering and excited about the game.

They have a team shop with away-game, home-game and warm-up jerseys, and a lot of other things like training jackets, pants, shades, hats and souvenirs with the logo. I liked the shop a lot because of all the variety. 

Depending on demand and seat location, the price of a ticket can vary. On average it can range from $20 to $150 or more. The best way to get a ticket is over the team’s official website. 

So if you are interested in soccer and have not been to a game of the St. Louis City SC, it’s definitely recommended. The season lasts until October.