Jumping to the Win

Liberty sophomore sets school record for hurdles

Katie Brillos, Reporter

Sophomore Cassie Flod has set a record for the fastest varsity 100 meter hurdles at Liberty High. She speedily jumped to the finish line on one of her first meets this year and hit a personal best time of 18.78 seconds.

Flod started track in the 8th grade at Frontier Middle School. She first started in sprinting events but in her freshman year she decided to give hurdles a try.

“It looked hard but really fun,” Flod said, after watching her friends practice.

Flod stays after school to practice and train to become better. She also comes into school early every Thursday with her fellow track members to weightlift before school. She likes to spend some of her free time at working out at home or going for a run.

“Working out makes me feel I’m accomplished,” Flod said. 

Just this year, Flod feels like all her hard work is finally starting to really have an impact on her. Coach Ulsas says that “she’s come so far just in the short time I have known her.”

Flod explains how her form and technique has really started to change and become much stronger this year.

“Many people think hurdles are all about the speed but, it’s not just that,” she said. “You have to have a special technique and form in jumping.”

She continues everyday to push herself harder and become better.

“I’m so proud of my Cassie,” her dad said. “She’s a strong girl who gives it her all.”

“She always gives a 100% at every single practice. She has a drive in her that’s hard to find in teenagers.” coach Ulsas says proudly.

Flod’s future goals for track is to break her personal best time and get it even lower. She hopes to become a top recruit by her senior year and get a scholarship and possibly set some other records to be remembered by at Liberty before she heads off to college.