• Apr 25 / Girls Varsity SoccerLiberty High School - 2, Ursuline - 1
  • Apr 24 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 7, Holt - 5
  • Apr 24 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 4, Holt - 1
  • Apr 23 / Girls Varsity SoccerLiberty High School - 2, Howell North - 1
  • Apr 22 / Girls Varsity SoccerLiberty High School - 0, St. Dominic - 3

Swinging Into a New Season

Many players start off the boys tennis season with goals to a great season
Monica Reyes
Senior Cameron Payne swings for the ball during the 2023 season

With the kickoff of spring sports recently, there are many events going on each day for multiple sports. One of those sports is boys’ tennis. Last year, the boys’ tennis team had a strong season with a 19-7 record. The team is looking to improve as the year continues.

As of this year, the start of the season was rocky, but coach Teodoro Campos believes the team will pull through and catch up in the later matches.

“The season is a little rough right now,” Campos said. “We had two rough matches starting out.”

To help improve in skill, the team practices two hours a day after school. Practice starts with a warmup stretch then they head into their routine of hitting practice, and work on certain game situations such as volleys, doubles, and singles.

Sophomore Charles Giraud was one of Liberty’s top boy tennis players last year. Giraud has come a long way in his skill in the match.

“I started playing when I was in 8th grade, I go to tennis camp each summer and I progressed quite quickly,” Giraud said.

First-year tennis player and freshman, Luke Swatek has a different view on tennis. Around school, Swatek is known as a funny and chill kid, it was a surprise to his peers when he decided to pick up tennis in his freshman year.

“My parents kind of forced me to play, but I thought it would be kind of fun.” Swatek said.

As of right now, Swatek does not see himself playing tennis in the future.

Another player, Cameron Payne, started playing tennis because he was just naturally good at it and wanted a sport to play. Although Payne doesn’t see himself playing in college he still enjoys playing the sport in high school.

Payne’s senior season so far has been a challenging start the first few games but he believes the team will get back on track.

“You know it’s going alright,” Payne said. “We had a little bit of a rocky start, but we got a pretty good solid team.”