• Apr 30 / Girls Varsity SoccerLiberty High School - 4, Zumwalt East - 0
  • Apr 29 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 6, Troy - 0
  • Apr 29 / Girls Varsity SoccerLiberty High School - 2, Incarnate Word - 1
  • Apr 27 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 12, Barstow - 2
  • Apr 27 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 6, Barstow - 8

Putting It On Paper: Athletes Commit On National Signing Day

14 student athletes committed for various sports to many Division II and Division III schools
Lilly Brown
Seniors Dominic Holderfield, Dalton Rice, and Alex Jung pose for a photo on national signing day.

With the school year starting to come to an end, seniors have started to finalize their plans after graduation. For many student athletes, going to college for their sport is a lifelong dream, and for 14 seniors, this dream just became true.

During the early morning on April 17, the commiting seniors came together to announce their commitment to various schools. They were joined by family, friends, and coaches.

“Today is the opportunity to celebrate the students who have done what is needed to perform athletically and academically,” athletic director Cary Eldredge said at the signing day ceremony.

Even though the athletes are doing various sports, all of the student-athletes who signed at the event are staying close to home, choosing schools in either Missouri or Illinois.

Committing to a sport for college is a big decision as these students will have to try to balance academics and athletics.

“I’m just going to put myself out there and try to encourage people,” senior Dalton Rice said.

These students aren’t only going to college for their sports, they are also going to continue their future path to their careers.

“In four years I see myself graduating with a business degree,” senior Aiden King said.

Senior Madelynn Kuhn worked as a three season athlete (tennis, wrestling, and soccer) to stay in shape throughout the year. She decided to commit for soccer.

James Ormsby is the first male to commit to volleyball from Liberty. Although it was more of a challenge to achieve this as this is the first year of having a boys volleyball team. He met coaches from Westminster at a camp he went to for volleyball.

These athletes have worked hard all of highschool to achieve this dream.

“These athletes have taken advantage of the opportunities given to them,” Eldredge said. Commiting to a sport is a very difficult decision for someone to make, as they will put in many more hours of training and practice, as well as playing in games, on top of their various academics.

Liberty wishes these students luck on the adventure ahead of them.

Spring 2024 Signing Day Commits

Kylee Velcheck - Westminster - Volleyball

James Ormsby - Westminster - Volleyball

Alex Jung - Central Methodist - Baseball

Lincoln Ralls - Mineral Area - Baseball

Connor Place - Missouri S&T - Track & Field

Dominic Holderfield - Maryville - Track & Field

Evan Hargrove - Central Methodist - Basketball

Aiden King - Westminster - Basketball

Turner Lively - Columbia College - Soccer

Brady Freeman - Columbia College - Soccer

Canon Mathison - Quincy - Soccer

Madelynn Kuhn - Lewis & Clark Community College - Soccer

Noah Kuehner - MO Valley - Football

Dalton Rice - Maryville - Swim