District Champs

Soccer team takes home first district title in program history

The varsity boys soccer team celebrates its district championship moments after defeating Borgia 5-0 on Thursday night.

photo provided by Mr. Raziq and Cole Allen

LHS Publications and Elizabeth Hamby

The boys soccer team has found its stride just at the right time.

After handling Washington 10-0 in the first district game, the Eagles (16-9) posted their second consecutive shutout Tuesday in the district championship game. They blanked Borgia 5-0 to win their first postseason title in school history. They advance to play Fort Zumwalt South on Tuesday in the sectional game at 6 p.m. at Liberty.

The victory has been a goal of 10 seniors.

“For us as a team the idea of winning a district championship has been embedded in our minds by coach Raziq,” senior Jack Kavanaugh said. “He has motivated us from the start that winning districts is the main goal.”

“It’s been a huge goal,” Coach Raziq said. “We’ve never won a conference title or district title. We had a really good district tournament and it definitely eases the sting of not winning conference. We’re looking forward to playing South on Tuesday.”

Five different goals scorers found the back of the net for the Eagles on Thursday night: Jack Kavanaugh, Tyler King, Alex Meyer, Chase Roellig and Evan Sacks. Goalkeeper Evan Witte notched his eighth shutout of the season.   

The game wasn’t close as the Eagles scored three times in the first half to open a big lead.

“We scored a goal three minutes in and scored another within seven minutes and just dominated,” Raziq said.

The next game will be a big test for the Eagles. Zumwalt South has won both games against them this season but they look forward to playing the GAC Central conference champs next week.

“It’s going to be a battle,” Raziq said.

The winner to advance to state quarterfinals on Saturday, Nov. 10 at a site to be determined.  

“If anything I would like to say that as happy as we our with the district win we are not satisfied and we are still wanting to get more after this history making moment,” Kavanaugh said.

About the Writer
Elizabeth Hamby, Reporter

Elizabeth is a freshman and this is her first year in the publication world. Outside of school, she enjoys reading, playing cards and hanging out with...