Celebrating The Seniors

The varsity girls soccer team lost to a good Washington team on their last home game before districts

Celebrating The Seniors

Chloe Netzel (#14) is the highest scorer so far this season, with 24 goals and five assists.

Photo provided by Trotter

Photo provided by Trotter

Photo provided by Trotter

Ally Schniepp and Abby Jordan

The varsity girls soccer team had their senior night game Monday, May 6 against Washington. After a long, hard fought game, the Eagles lost to the Bluejays, 3-2. The Eagles record is now 8-8-1 overall and 4-4 in conference. 

Before the game, seniors Beth Roberts, Taylor Radke, Jen Deters and Peyton Carroll were introduced one by one. Each senior walked onto the field with their families, then through a tunnel made by JV and other varsity players, and ended with a picture with coach Kleekamp.

The seniors recall some of their best soccer memories, Radke recalled the team bonding parties.

Abby Jordan
Senior Taylor Radke

“When I scored my first varsity goal freshman year,” Carroll says was her fondest moment playing soccer.

Abby Jordan
Senior Peyton Caroll

The seniors also mention some of their biggest accomplishments over their four years playing soccer at Liberty. Roberts’ biggest accomplishment was, after earning numerous other awards, receiving a state honorable mention.  

“Making the varsity team and never playing for a club,” Deters says is her biggest accomplishment.

After the ceremony, both teams’ starting lineups were announced. The national anthem was played and then came the kickoff.

Both teams fought hard in the match on Monday, taking great shots back and forth, never scoring. Sophomore Chloe Netzel and other offensive players were great at pushing the pace after defensive players got the ball up the field.

Abby Jordan
Senior Jen Deters

After a scoreless first half, Washington scored three fast goals. With 10 minutes left in the second half, the score was 3-0 Washington.

Although some fans lost hope, the players on the field never gave up. They knew what they had to do to get back in the game. And they did. Within the next couple minutes,

Abby Jordan
Senior Beth Roberts

Beth Roberts and freshman Tess Roberts had made a successful cross to Netzel with the finish. It was Netzel’s team-leading 24th goal on the season. The score was 3-2 with three minutes left in the game.

It was a battle to the end, but the score stayed 3-2 and Washington earned the win. The Eagles fought hard until the end, and never gave up even when the game seemed lost.

The Eagles will play in districts against Hannibal on Saturday at Liberty at noon. They winner of that game plays Tuesday at 6 p.m.

Ally Schniepp, Reporter

Ally is a hard-working freshman who enjoys playing sports and hanging out with her two dogs. Ally is a strong-willed, optimistic, goofy person. She can...

Abby Jordan, Reporter

Abby Jordan is an incoming sophomore who is excited to join the publications this year. At LHS this year, she is involved in ASC, The Nest, Key Club, HOSA...