Sharing A Conference Championship

Boys tennis wins their first GAC championship tying in points with Timberland

photo by LHS tennis

Varsity boys tennis gets together to celebrate their first conference title.

Nick Howard, Reporter

For the first time in LHS history, the boys tennis team wins a conference championship. After coming close in the past, the varsity Eagles were crowned the GACs North-Central Co-Conference Champions after tying in points with Timberland High School.

The tennis players gave their best efforts on the court in the tournament to win the conference. Senior Evan Sacks repeated as singles and doubles champion (with Josh Roberts) in GACs. They are now back-to-back doubles champions. Roberts was also No. 2 singles champion.

During freshman year, Sacks and his teammates were not that good to start off their playing days. With the improvement and success over the next three seasons to win conference in his final season with his team was something he will always cherish for his high school tennis career.

“I did tennis just for the fun of it coming in,” Sacks said. “I didn’t realize all the success that would come with it and it’s nice to win these awards because I’ve worked hard at it.”

Reese Outman and Christian Bates were the No. 3 doubles GACs champions.

Going into the tournament for conference there was an empty banner on the wall for the boys tennis team. Coach Campos told the seniors at the beginning of the season to “leave their mark,” and they did just that.

With this conference win, Campos looks to have this accomplishment lead the team in the right direction moving forward.

“In addition, I foresee those who are on the team will know that to get better, they will have to play in the offseason, get in camps and take private lessons,” Campos said. “All the time and sacrifices that the boys endured, allowed them to be able to be in a position to have a successful 2019 season and continue to try and gain a district title and an opportunity to qualify as a team for states.”