Self Starter

Freshman Zoe Carpenter is able to make it big, here’s how

Zoe+Carpenter+goes+up+the+stairs+like+she+is+going+up+in+life.+

Lucy Hunter

Zoe Carpenter goes up the stairs like she is going up in life.

Lucy Hunter, Reporter

Imagine you are flying on a plane for the first time without your parents. You’re scared, but at the end of the flight, you know all the money you raised for this trip will be worth it.  Well, that’s exactly what happened to freshman Zoe Carpenter last summer. The freshman was able to raise $4,000 in three months for a trip to Utah to the BYU (Brigham Young University) program.

Carpenter did it all, from babysitting and swim lessons, to even family photos. But with a constant stream of clients and decent rates, babysitting quickly became Carpenter’s best way of making money. Carpenter raked in the cash by charging $6 per hour for one kid, $10 for two kids per hour, and $15 per hour for three or more kids.  

“Through babysitting and other jobs, I have learned how to handle adults, kids, and money. I used to spend every dime but now I look for bigger and better things,” Carpenter said.

It was Carpenter’s first time on a plane when she flew to Utah, but when she landed and made it to BYU all of her previous fear went out the window. She stayed on the campus for two weeks taking classes on biology, basic chemistry, and swim. Carpenter had to pay for round trip tickets, campus time, meal passes, suitcase, and of course, gifts to bring home. Carpenter’s parents supported her work ethic and were there throughout her entire journey.

Photo submitted by Zoe Carpenter
Zoe Carpenter (far back center) accompanying her program mates in a group photo.

“I was very impressed by how dedicated she was at working and saving up money,” Carpenter’s mother said, who expressed great pride in her daughter’s achievement. “She got all the money so she not only would be able to pay for the camp but also have money to spend. I was so proud of her for working so hard.”

“I started working to achieve my dreams because no one was going to do it for me,” Carpenter explained when asked about why she went to such great lengths for the program.

Most of Carpenter’s free time was taken up by work or swim, and there was no time for school. Her only focus was on making money for the trip, though she does not regret her choices.

“I would go through all of it again because of every sleepless night, every dollar I had to put away, every time I or others doubted myself, it was worth it to hold that last needed dollar.”