What Is All The Hype About?

Why Starbucks is many teens’ choice of drink

Jade O'Neill

Starbucks is a popular drink franchise among teens.

Jade O’Neill, Reporter

Over the last couple of years, Starbucks has skyrocketed in sales because of teenagers. But why? We asked three students to explain their reasons for choosing this popular chain.

“I like the variety and quality of drinks,” junior Nila Sasi said.

There is more to offer than just coffee at Starbucks. They have a variety of teas, lemonades, matcha, and foods. The diversity of drinks is really impressive, which is a reason why more people choose to go to Starbucks. It covers a wide range of preferences. 

But why are so many teens hooked on these drinks? Because of its trendiness. The pretty Starbucks drinks are all over social media. If you saw a picture of a drink get thousands of likes on Instagram you would want to try it, right? 

“It’s aesthetically pleasing for photos,” junior Taylor Carroll said. 

This means that teens aren’t choosing to spend their money at cheaper/coffee places such as Dunkin Donuts or QT. 

“The baristas and overall environment is really nice,” sophomore Lauren Maxwell said.

Starbucks isn’t just a place to get your drink and go, it’s also a good work environment to do homework, work, and overall just a nice place to socialize compared to other places.

Jade O’Neill
Taylor Carroll drinks a strawberry acai refresher.

So why don’t teens just make their own coffee at home? Why spend the extra money?

“Because Starbucks has refreshers and other types of drinks for people that don’t like coffee, unlike other places that just have coffee,” junior Taylor Carroll said.

Most teens don’t have enough time in the morning to make their own coffee, but they do have time to run through the drive-through on their way to school. Starbucks is convenient which is another reason why it’s so popular.

Many young people want what they see on social media. Starbucks drinks are appealing to the eye and knocking other coffee places out of the competition. The obsession with these drinks are mainly because of teens wanting to hop on the trend, and drink what everyone else is drinking. Starbucks is the place to be for these generations.