Trick or Treat for UNICEF

Give to those in need this Halloween

Fiona Flynn

Key club’s goal is to raise at least $1,000 for their fundraiser, Trick or Treat for UNICEF.

Fiona Flynn, Reporter

Halloween, the day where people of all ages over the entire United States dress up in various colorful or creepy costumes to party, hang out with friends or go door to door to collect candy. For Key Club, this is an opportunity to neither trick nor treat, but to collect money for UNICEF, the United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund.

Trick or Treat for UNICEF is to help mothers and their babies in third world countries. Basically, you’re raising money to help get them food, water, shelter, and (supply) basic needs. By donating even a dollar or two, you can help get them vaccines for tetanus. By donating money, you can help save a baby’s life,” said sophomore Sarah LePage, the Key Club member running the fundraiser. 

So how do you donate? It’s really quite simple. Every AI classroom was given a small bright orange cardboard box decorated especially for the spooky season. 

“Also, you don’t have to be in a class to donate money,” LePage said. “You can take a UNICEF box from Ms. Borders’ room, 226 and go around Halloween night door to door asking for spare change for babies who need tetanus shots. You can help raise over $200 on your own.”

This Halloween, be sure to give a little back to those in need. The turn-in date for all collected money was Wednesday, Nov. 6. Classrooms with the most raised money receiving a doughnut party during AI. The individual with the most money gathered earned a $15 QT gift card.