Eagles Keep Rolling

Varsity football secures another playoff win and will advance to play Hannibal in the district title game Friday, Nov. 15

Zach+Dotson+%2839%29%2C+Anthony+Tavolacci+%2864%29+and+Gabe+Gonzalez+%2870%29+bring+down+the+Kirksville+ball+carrier+during+Libertys+victory+in+the+district+semifinal+game.+

Chris Randolph

Zach Dotson (39), Anthony Tavolacci (64) and Gabe Gonzalez (70) bring down the Kirksville ball carrier during Liberty’s victory in the district semifinal game.

Ally Schniepp, Sports Editor

For the first time in school history, Liberty will be hosting a varsity district championship game.

The No. 1 seeded Eagles defeated the Kirksville Tigers 35-6 on Nov. 8 and found out they will be hosting the district finals against the second seeded Hannibal Pirates Friday at 7 p.m. 

“The goal is to just play as hard as we can. We just have to stay focused, don’t underestimate anything and just keep practicing hard like we do,” senior Zach Dotson said. Hannibal defeated St. Dominic 40-15. 

Against Hannibal, Liberty started out the game with two touchdowns by senior Cooper Terrell, the first with 7:41 left in the first quarter and the second with 8:50 left in the second quarter. Kirksville then scored their only touchdown of the game with 3:31 left in the half.

Liberty quickly recovered with an interception and touchdown by sophomore Alex Fillner with 0:24 left in the half, making the score 21-6 Eagles at halftime. 

“I was so surprised I actually almost tripped on my way into the end zone, but it was awesome,” Fillner said of his touchdown.

The final two touchdowns of the game were scored by junior Tyler Cotton, one with 7:20 left in the third quarter, the other with 10:15 left in the game. Both were receiving touchdowns thrown by quarterback Blake Seaton. 

Liberty has now won both of its postseason games by lopsided margins – Fort Zumwalt South (42-7) and Kirksville (35-6).