District Champs

Eagles defeat Hannibal 23-8 and become the first football team in Liberty history to win their district

The+Eagles+celebrate+their+district+championship+moments+after+defeating+Hannibal+23-6.+

Chris Randolph

The Eagles celebrate their district championship moments after defeating Hannibal 23-6.

Ally Schniepp, Sports Editor

Lauren Spakowski
The Eagles’ players the football program’s first district championship in school history.

Tears were shed, ‘We Are the Champions’ was played, and hugs were given as Liberty took down Hannibal in a heart racing game, 23-8 to win the district championship.

This moment is one game both players and students will remember for years to come after their high school careers have ended.

“This is the most proud I’ve ever been to be an Eagle,” sophomore Ally Scudder said. 

Junior Tyler Cotton scored the first touchdown of the game with 3:13 left in the first quarter and Josh “The Leg” Paubel put the cherry on top of the play with his extra point attempt that gave us the lead over Hannibal 7-0. 

After a scoreless second quarter, Hannibal ran in a touchdown and their two-point conversion attempt was successful, making the score 8-7 Pirates. Shortly thereafter, Paubel hit a 31 -yard field goal and took the lead 10-8. 

Going into the fourth and final quarter, the Eagles were up by two points over the Pirates and were determined to keep the lead. After about a minute and a half, quarterback Blake Seaton threw in his second touchdown pass of the game to Cotton. The crowd went wild and it was at this point the Eagles knew they deserved the win and would stop at nothing to get the title of district champions. 

I’m too tired to cry.

— Tye Yeh, after the game with a smile on his face and sweat running down his forehead.

Our final touchdown of the game was a one-yard run by Seaton and a strong finishing kick from Paubel to pad the Liberty lead for the final score of 23-8.

Following the game, it was obvious the team put their heart and soul, and blood and tears into every play of this championship that was a flood of emotions for all. Students, friends and family rushed the field as the buzzer sounded ready to celebrate with their team as a whole Eagles Kingdom.

Lauren Spakowski
Quarterback Blake Seaton eludes a tackler during the district championship game. Seaton passed for two touchdowns and ran for another TD score.

“I’m too tired to cry,” sophomore Tye Yeh said after the game with a smile on his face and sweat running down his forehead. 

Overall, the Eagles came out victorious as district champs from their outstanding season so far and will keep pushing the boundaries in order to keep making history and keep the season alive.

They advance to the final eight Class 4 teams as they travel to play Ladue Saturday at 1 p.m. Ladue defeated Rockwood Summit 35-14 in their game.