Every Trip Has a Story

Liberty students share their tackiest moments

From right to left: Madi McGuire, Lexi Kaiser, Lexi Guffey, and Juhaina Aarda show off their spirit for school by dressing as tacky tourists.

Arianna Amann, Reporter

Have you ever had the opportunity to travel outside of the United States, or even Missouri? Did you have the pleasure to spot that one person, face so far into their cameras, that they can’t seem to actually enjoy the view? Or the person who maybe enjoying the tacky tourist attire a bit too much, and always manages to stand out? Or the person who takes more pictures of what’s happening, than actually enjoying themselves? Have you ever seen those tacky tourists?

On Oct. 6th, Liberty hosted a spirit day that let students display their best run at a tacky tourist. Many students wore the cliche floral button up shirt adorned with a pair of binoculars or camera hanging from their neck.

Although the joke of being a tacky tourist might be funny, some students have some unbearable and amazing experiences.

Savannah Kruse and Erika Fulhorst posing as tacky tourists.

Erika Fulhorst has been out of the country multiple times. Her favorite place to vacation is Mexico.

“The tackiest I’ve ever felt is when I went on a cruise and we made a stop at Cozumel. My two younger sisters and I put our faces inside of the those stand-ups with cut-out faces and posed for very tacky pictures,” Fulhorst said.

Emma Ingle and Colin Stuerman pose together.
Emma Ingle and Colin Stuerman posing together.

Snowboarding is Colin Stuerman’s favorite sport. It takes him to Salt Lake City, Utah, where he once snowboarded off an eight foot tall ramp and landed painfully on his back. Another area Stuerman enjoys going is the Virgin Islands, specifically Maho Beach. The beach is right behind the section of an airport.

“Whenever a plane goes to take off, the engines blow wind all over the beach and launch sand and stuff, it’s really cool. I once saw someone holding onto the fence as a 747 was about to take off and it literally blew them to the point where they were parallel to the ground. That was pretty tacky,” said Stuerman.

Emma Ingle loves to travel. Most of her vacations take place in the United States, ranging from Branson to Chicago, or places in Florida or Colorado. Ingle took a trip to Romania, and it was her favorite.

Conveniently, she also experienced a super tacky moment.

“I was attempting to speak a full sentence in Romanian to a complete stranger, and helplessly struggling. As I finished, the man responded back in perfect English! I felt so stupid. It was a total face palm moment!” said Ingle.