A Game With an Invisible Opponent

LHS football’s plan to succeed during COVID-19 

Wide+receiver+Kamron+Bastean+perfects+his+routes+at+a+practice+earlier+this+season.+The+Eagles+open+their+season+Friday+against+Warrenton.+

Jayce Haun

Wide receiver Kamron Bastean perfects his routes at a practice earlier this season. The Eagles open their season Friday against Warrenton.

Patrick Lynch, Sports Reporter

As we start this new school year, it’s immediately apparent that a lot has changed. But nothing has changed more than athletics. The Liberty Eagles football team has been cleared to play the 2020 season, but it will be unlike any other. Extra health and safety precautions have to be taken at practice. 

“It [COVID] changed a lot. We have to wear masks at practice now even though it’s hot,” sophomore lineman Matt Craig said. 

Eagles’ head coach McMillen says that “It has made things a lot more difficult… there’s a whole lot more planning that goes into practice.”

Only immediate family members of participating students are allowed and there will be no student section. These guidelines were recently set by the WSD. However, the Eagles aren’t letting this get to them, and remain enthusiastic about the season.

The Eagles open their season Friday night at home against Warrenton. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.

When asked about the greatest strength of this Liberty team, starting quarterback and senior Blake Seaton said that “We’re really versatile this year. We’ve got a lot of receivers we can throw to and we also have running backs who can get the job done on the ground. And our defense is all around some dogs.” 

Fellow senior Kadyn Orcutt agreed, saying that “If we want to run the ball we can, if we want to throw we can do that too. We’ve got elite running backs, elite receivers.” 

This year’s Eagles team is boosted by its leadership, owing in part to the football program’s biggest senior class ever.

“Everyone is willing to work together. Our leadership is some of the best we have ever had,” McMillen said. 

This season is special for the senior class because for many, it will be their last time competing on a football field. Blake Seaton calls it “the most important season so far” and is hoping to earn a scholarship. This season is important to the rest of the team too, because they are all hoping to repeat the historic success of last year, when the Eagles went 9-4 and claimed their first district title in school history, defeating Hannibal 23-8.