USTA Ranked Freshman Stars For Girls Varsity Tennis Team

Gamm takes first at conference and looks to continue her success this season

Jayce Haun

Freshman Isabella Gamm serves a shot at a practice earlier in the season.

Ally Reyes, Reporter

Isabella or “Bella” Gamm is a freshman who has had a great start to her high school tennis career. 

She Liberty’s top player this season and went 7-0 during practice matches. Those matches determined everyone’s spot on the team, and Gamm secured first place easily. She and some other talented freshmen were put in varsity gold. All of this really changed up the whole varsity team. 

Gamm is ranked No. 49 in USTA Missouri Valley Tennis. This rank includes all junior players from Missouri, Iowa, Oklahoma, Nebraska and Kansas. And she’s been a ranked player since 2017. 

At 14 years old, Gamm has been playing tennis for over eight years now. She got into the sport after she “tried it and liked it.” She plays seven days a week, and if she didn’t do tennis, she would be doing track.

Izzy has been a great addition to the team. Her play speaks for itself and is backed up by her stats. She also has helped in contributing to bringing the team close together.  It’s rare that you have a freshman come in and do the things she has done, but with her being humble about her play and personality brought the team the opportunity to work and play together to achieve a pretty successful season so far.

— Coach Campos

“Tennis is fun to play, and since it’s an independent sport, I rely more on myself,” Gamm said.  Out of doubles and singles, she favors singles more because it’s way more independent than doubles. 

Coach Campos believes she’s contributed so much for a freshman. 

“Izzy has been a great addition to the team,” Campos said. “Her play speaks for itself and is backed up by her stats. She also has helped in contributing to bringing the team close together.  It’s rare that you have a freshman come in and do the things she has done, but with her being humble about her play and personality brought the team the opportunity to work and play together to achieve a pretty successful season so far.” 

Most recently, Gamm took first place at GACs or Gateway Athletic Conference, and she helped the team become GAC champions for the first time since 2018. 

The tennis racket she uses is a Head Radical MP. She loves this racket because it “matches my game play” and helps her play the best out of all the rackets she’s tried out.

Gamm’s favorite tennis player is Maria Sharapova because “she’s been through so many challenges, and has gotten back up.”