Solo Senior Swimmer

Amar Selmanovic is the only senior of the 2020 Boys Swim team

Sarah Downs

Amar Selmanovic has been swimming for Liberty since his freshman year and has definitely improved over the years. 

Sarah Downs, Reporter

For the boys swim team, senior night was a very special one- especially since it was for their only team member in the 12th grade. Amar Selmanovic was the only senior walking with his parents on senior night. He has been swimming for Liberty since his freshman year and has definitely improved over the years. 

“I know that I have improved over the years of swimming significantly,” Selmanovic. 

Every athlete has their favorite season, even when all are good, but there are those small differences that make a great year. 

Amar Selmanovic is honored by his team on senior night. (Sarah Downs)

“My favorite year was my sophomore year,” Selmanovic said. “It was when we had all of my senior friends still swimming and they taught me many skills in swimming.” 

Competing for the win is fulfilling, but competing with your friends cheering you on is even more rewarding.

However, with every good year, there are always bumps in the road that make it harder to get around it. This season the boys lost four swimmers, luckily the rest of the team was determined and stepped up their game.

“It was unexpected to see the freshmen stand up and still have the morale to compete well,” Selmanovic said. 

“It felt a little overwhelming being the only senior because everyone looked up to you for guidance and answers to their questions,” Selmanovic said. 

Even with it being overwhelming, he took the position as the leader and helped everyone on the team get through GAC’s which lead to multiple places. 

“He’s a really good leader to me,” freshman Brad Nonaka said. “He encourages you a ton even if you are feeling down.”

Nonaka placed fifth in the 200 IM, and freshman Ryan Schmerold placed third in the 100 back; Amar placed second in the 100 free. There were multiple places and the Liberty boys swim finished in fifth place overall.

“I am pretty sad that my swimming career is over, but I had a great four years with Liberty,” Selmanovic said. His swimming career may be over, but he still has the memories for when his college career begins.