Breaking the Habit

Getting rid of the winter blues by conquering old study routines

Olivia Holler, Editor-in-chief

Usually around this time we get more stressed out at school than usual. It’s the holiday season, finals, tests and not to mention it’s cold and nobody has the motivation to do anything. This can lead to procrastination and slacking.

For me this time of year, I feel like I work harder than ever to get my grades up and study more. It does give me a lot of anxiety doing all of this.

Many students can identify with two types of anxiety. One is because of procrastination and two because you’re overworking yourself. It all depends on how you decide to use your time and what works better for you.

However, distractions get the best of us, whether you have a phone by you or listening to music. I think we have trouble knowing when to stop to get things done. I am just as guilty for this. It’s helpful when my phone is turned off so I am fully focused on what I’m doing.

Pushing off projects and assignments can lead to some stressful nights trying to get everything done. Working on them little by little will save you those long nights scrabbling and rushing to get it done. There’s no reason to be staying up till dawn to do your work. Just do it!

I feel like this is the time to really push yourself to get what you need to get done because in the fall and spring there is a lot to do. In the winter there is time to get in check.

To be successful this time of year, I manage my time wisely. In classes, I try to get as much finished as possible so I’m not cramming in homework and studying for finals. Then I take the time at home to focus on studying for test or finals. That way I’m not so overwhelmed.

Most of the time I feel like students don’t do what they’re asked and then have so much to do later that night. It’s time to focus and get on the right track.

I feel like there is a mindset in high school where if you don’t try it’s cool but if you try it’s abnormal. I completely disagree. I think in high school the only way to get through it is to strive and then you’ll succeed. It’s OK to actually do your homework or try on test or finals.

Teens tend to freak out and get major anxiety when they don’t know something but never seem to ask anyone for help or think it though. You can problem solve. Many teens simply want the answer now. Maybe its because of our society and how fast the information has become. Sometimes the answer may not come quickly and you have to put in some time to think and read to solve the problem.

This is the perfect time to focus and get motivated to strive in school. Start the new year right and get rid of those bad habits.