Crossing off the Checklist

Students overlook general education requirements when registering for classes

The guidance office grows busier with students switching and considering classes.

Chasteanne Salvosa, Newspaper Editor

Where do you want to go? Six simple words strewn together that create such a stressful sentence.

From the second students begin their high school careers, these six words pester them. While some students have it all figured out by the end of their freshman year, some students struggle to start college hunting in their junior year. But no matter where a student goes, there’s one thing that always manages to trip students up. Requirements.

Requirements are something that is overlooked sometimes due to the fact that students are usually told that colleges look for three things: ACT scores, GPA and extracurricular activities.

Within a general set of rules for requirements, the rules also changes from college to college. So while one school may require three years of math, another school may require four. The number one solution to students’ confusion is learning as much about each school on their prospective application list as possible. When looking at prospective schools’ requirements, having a transcript on hand to see if the credits earned match the credits needed.

Generally, colleges ask for four years of math and English, while science and social studies differs. Many colleges also ask for two years of the same foreign language. So while this may seem like a lot of old information, fortunately, students have met many of these requirements already as they are a part of the graduation requirements. But yet students are still unaware of one more requirement; ACT scores.

Once again, the requirements for automatic admission differ from school to school, but the average ACT score (from Lindenwood, Mizzou, and St. Charles County Community College) lies around 20-24 for students.

So while this may all be overwhelming, students need not stress.

According to Mizzou admissions representative, Macenzie Schoenfelt, there is a hierarchy of things looked at when a student applies.

“These are the requirements for automatic admission, but we do look at each student individually and take all things into account when evaluating a student’s application,” Schoenfelt said. “Also, if a student’s score on their ACT is lower than a 24, we will look at their class rank or core GPA. If they have a 21 on their ACT they need to be in the top 38 percent of their graduating class. If their high school does not rank, we will look at the core GPA.”

Aside from core GPA, often colleges will look at things that students participate in and out of school.

“I always recommend that students also submit a high school resume listing any community service, clubs and organizations they have been involved, awards or honors they have received, athletics and any performance groups they have been involved with. This allows for us to review more than a GPA and test score,” director of day admissions at Lindenwood, Kristen Revis, said.

The hierarchy of needs is placed there for those who do not meet the automatic admissions requirements. But a helpful factor in avoiding a whole new set of requirements is to fulfill a school’s general education requirements in the first place.

So while general education requirements are a thing that can often be easily forgotten, they are also not the only thing considered when applying to a school as the hierarchy of needs in the world of application can save many.