Plastic Surgery

Why the practice can be disturbing

Plastic Surgery

Gibson Mitchell, Reporter

Celebrities endorse varying products that attempt to grasp our attention. From workout tapes to blenders, these objects make owning up to an expectation largely frustrating. But when it comes to our bodies and plastic surgery, some find quick fixes to be tremendous and iconic. Opinions are split as to how integrated into society this ideal may be. To some, it’s not a big deal, but to others it’s almost a part of life. But for South Korea, also known as Land of The Morning Calm, it most definitely is. If you want to fit in, you have to look the part, even if you want a job your appearance must be spectacular.

South Korea has the highest amount of plastic surgery procedures in the world per capita, why? Because they are really good at it. But it’s not just South Koreans who employ this lifestyle, it’s people from all over the world. People come from all over to seek professional consultation and surgery because it’s cheaper and efficient. Because people trust the varying teams of surgeons and anesthesiologists to get the job done.

It even goes further. Men join in and also receive surgery and correction. It’s a social norm that incorporates everyone, not just women. The universal need to look good or perfect being unafraid of gender. For women in Korean society, this equates to: having a kind smile, a ‘v’ shaped chin, larger round eyes, and a toned slimmed jaw. Korean society strives for structure – but also demands simplistic beauty within that basis.

Apgujeong, Seoul serves as the major capital for much of the plastic surgery performed. In a video by 101 East, professor of psychology Yang Yoon was asked about the idea behind the craze taking over Korean society. Yoon responded with: “While plastic surgery may seem like a tool for looking better..it’s actually all about comparing one’s self to others.” Yoon continued, adding: “Koreans always strive to be better than their peers.”

I think that this goes for all of us..that the idea that you must make yourself seem more physically appealing in order to get ahead in life, to receive a job, or even to have someone else like you more or at all – is a little bit stressing. Being proud of who you are isn’t a weakness, it’s a strength. Agree or disagree, that’s your thing. We seem to get more…processed and altered ideals of beauty, and receive less of raw and the real side of things.

So why is plastic surgery so popular? Because it’s a way to fix what we find too bland or broken. Marie Curie puts it like this, “Life is not easy for any of us. But what of that? We must have perseverance and above all confidence in ourselves. We must believe that we are gifted for something and that this thing must be attained.”