An Unbearable Event

Students raised money for Special Olympics Missouri by participating in Polar Plunge

Caleb Woods

32 Liberty students came to St. Louis Community club to take part of the polar plunge. photo by Caleb Woods

McKenzie Bartels, Reporter

The Polar Plunge is a great opportunity to show off your bravery by running or jumping into the cold, frigid waters that Missouri has to offer.

On Feb. 4, students went to St. Louis Community Club to raise awareness by jumping into the lake for Special Olympics Missouri.

Special Olympics is the world’s largest sports organization where people with intellectual disabilities discover new strengths, and skills through the power of sports.

The goal of the organization is to show that anyone can achieve their goals.

A total of 32 Liberty students participated in the Polar Plunge. Participants arrived there at 10:45 a.m., but before jumping into the cold water, students had to stand around and wait in the cold for nearly two hours.

Seconds after jumping into the water, everyone was screaming.

“I felt numb running into the water,” said senior Katie Coyle.

All together, the students raised a lot of money for Special Olympics Missouri.

“We raised a total of $2,200 for a great cause,” said sophomore Rishi Kondapaneni.

This was a great way for Liberty students and the community to raise awareness for the organization.

“I know that I will definitely be participating in another Polar Plunge. My boyfriend’s brother is a part of Special Olympics, Missouri and I want to support not only him but everyone else involved in it,” senior Nicole Knobbe said.

Hopefully, in the future, more students can participate in the Polar Plunge and we can raise even more money and spread more awareness towards the organization.