A Look Into The World Of Girls Lacrosse

Wentzville Girls Lacrosse is a club that doubles as a sport and a community

Kaylin Schwandner, Reporter

Lacrosse is the fastest-growing high school sport in the nation, but what you do not know about the game may surprise you.

“If you really want to play, just go for it,” junior Cara Turner said.

Wentzville Girls Lacrosse players playing defense during an intense game against Pattonville. (Submitted by Lilli Ginnever)

Girls lacrosse is a non-contact game played by 12 players: a goalkeeper, five attackers, and six defenders. The main goal is to shoot it into the net and the highest score wins. To start the game, two players from opposite teams take the draw and after that, it’s time to give it your all.

When you put enough time and energy into this sport, you could even eventually make it to a collegiate level. Liberty alumni Kelsey Corcoran explains striving to play in college means, “Joining a select team, not being afraid to email college coaches frequently, and leaving everything on the field.” Corcoran now plays at Missouri Western State University as an attacker.

When asking many players about their love for the game, they said it’s not only about the game but also about the friendships you make.

It is never too late to start. Wentzville Girls Lacrosse takes any girl who has the motivation to play, no experience needed. Because WGLAX is a club team, any girl from any school or district is welcome to play on this team, as long as their school does not have a sanctioned girls lacrosse team.

Wentzville Girls Lacrosse coaches are dedicated to knowing you for more than just your number on the field. They provide a safe and loving style of coaching balancing wanting to make connections and getting to know you, but also knowing when to get to work and make the team strive.

For those who are thinking about playing, sophomore Layla Olsen says, “Don’t be scared to start because there are always others who are completely new to the game as well, no matter what age.”

The season starts in spring and goes through the rest of the school year. It is a great opportunity to make friends, work hard, and play lacrosse.

You can find more information about the Wentzville Lacrosse program at wentzvillelax.com for the boys’ team and wentzvillegirlslacrosse.com for the girls’ team.