Wentzville Lacrosse Offering Exciting Program To High School Students

The club has exemplified lacrosse’s continuous rise in popularity

Gavin Block, Reporter

The Wentzville Lacrosse Club boys’ 2021-22 season is officially underway. The ongoing indoor Fall Ball program commenced on Monday, Sept. 27, and will continue for the next seven Mondays until Nov. 22.

The boys’ lacrosse team is coming off of a winning season last year, where they made it to the Division 2 quarterfinals in the state tournament. In 2019 the squad reached the Division 2 semifinals; there was no season in 2020. They have made it to the Final Four not just in 2019, but also in 2012, 2013, and 2015.

Their programs this year includes the Fall Ball (September to November), Stick & Ball Clinic (November), and Captain’s practices (December to February), all leading up to the regular season (February to May.)

The lacrosse club offers both a varsity and junior varsity team and runs as a spring sport with additional playing opportunities in the summer and fall. The state tournament takes place at the end of the season.

There are currently around 40 players on the boys’ team. Last season they had a total of 10 players get into the all-conference and all-state teams.

The Wentzville Girls’ Lacrosse team also supports varsity and junior varsity teams. They allow girls from any school district to join. Similar to the boys’ team, a middle school squad is incorporated as well. For both teams, previous experience is not necessary and all skill levels are welcome.

Liberty junior and girls’ lacrosse player Cara Turner has been a member of the club since spring 2020.

“Personally, I’m expecting everyone to come back better than before,” Turner said regarding her season expectations. “We’ve all been joining clubs and practices during the off-season to keep our [lacrosse] IQ up. I’m also expecting some new girls to join which will be exciting.”

When asked what she most enjoys about being in the team, she noted, “I really love the friendships that I’ve made while playing with these girls. They are all so kind and encouraging. I also really like how the coaches do their job, it makes for a really fun atmosphere.”

Lacrosse as a sport has seen explosive growth in the past decade, especially with high schools. According to the Sports & Fitness Industry Association, the total number of active lacrosse players was more than 2.1 million in 2019 and 2.2% of core lacrosse participants were between the ages of 13 and 17. 

A report by the NCAA in 2018 stated that lacrosse is the fastest-growing collegiate sport over the past 15 years. During those 15 years, the number of women’s lacrosse teams saw an increase of 97%, with men’s lacrosse teams rising by 61%. Clearly, lacrosse has boomed in popularity with today’s youth.

You can find more information about the Wentzville Lacrosse program at wentzvillelax.com for the boys’ team and wentzvillegirlslacrosse.com for the girls’ team.