HOSA Hosts Annual Blood Drive

Students and staff surpass goal to help save lives

Jayce Haun

Theater teacher Mrs. Gehrke is instructed to squeeze a stress ball every 5 seconds to help the blood flow while it is drawn.

It has been over a year since Liberty has hosted its annual blood drive. Despite the year-long absence, the students and staff came through with 82 units of blood, which surpassed the goal of 80.

Students who participate in HOSA organized and managed this event, which took place on Tuesday Oct. 12. In order to donate blood, students needed to be at least 16 years of age and have a mask and ID present at the time of donation. Throughout the day, teachers and students took turns coming down to the small gym where the event was hosted. After donation, students could sit, eat, and drink before returning to class.

Senior Keaton Roof gets his blood drawn at the Oct. 12 blood drive. (Jayce Haun)

Giving blood is an important opportunity for people to give back to their community. Many hospitals are in need of all different types of blood for surgery, accidents, injuries, blood disorders, etc. The blood drive ended up having a great turnout, even the sponsor for HOSA who helped coordinate the event donated. 

“I love helping people and giving blood helps save people’s lives. It’s just a way for me to give back to the community and hopefully make a positive difference in the world,” Mrs. Strathman said, who is the HOSA sponsor. Ms. Strathman is able to host the blood drive by contacting representatives from the Mississippi Valley Regional Blood Center. A date is then set once permission from school administration is granted. The gym is then reserved from the P.E. teachers and a committee from HOSA is organized. HOSA begins to work on lunch sign-ups and advertisements. Workers take day shifts on the day of the event to help set things up and take things down. 

I was always interested in helping other people in any way that I can but I thought that this was the best way to do that.

— Andre Gilardi

Andre Gilardi (11) was also given the opportunity to donate blood on Tuesday. 

Even though giving blood can be scary to those who are afraid of needles or getting sick, students and staff members should not be hesitant if they are interested in donating blood to those in need.

“I would say go for it, it’s a great opportunity to help somebody in need. It encourages you to extend services in any way you can. The people here (medical professionals) are very nice and they take care of you,” Gilardi said.