Holiday Dub

JV girls basketball team wins their holiday tournament

Sicily+Trost+pulls+up+for+a+shot+against+Rosati-Kain+to+keep+the+advantage+and+lead+the+team+to+a+win.+I+made+sure+everyone+was+doing+good+and+confident+that+we+would+make+it+to+the+end%2C+said+Trost.+

Alix Queen

Sicily Trost pulls up for a shot against Rosati-Kain to keep the advantage and lead the team to a win. “I made sure everyone was doing good and confident that we would make it to the end,” said Trost.

Emily Barnett, Reporter

While most kids were preparing for winter break, the girls junior varsity team was dominating their holiday tournament against Affton, Rosati Kain and Northwest at home. Winning the tournament was a big deal to the Liberty girls team who hadn’t won a basketball game in a while.

The team was led by their coach and alumni Savannah Kruse. Kruse is a first-time girls high school basketball coach and has enjoyed her season motivating her athletes and coming back to a place she calls home.

I love giving back to what made me a better student and player. I love reconnecting with my old teachers and being able to see familiar faces in the hallway. It’s something I don’t take for granted,” Kruse said. She has been an illuminating light during the team’s season, even when the win came after a streak of losses.

“The most memorable thing was my coach writing us all little notes right before the final game,” said junior Ja’Nya McKinney. 

Ja’Nya McKinney stays on top of her defense on the court against Rosati- Kane. “I think my defense was the best and stay uplifted the whole time,” said McKinney on what she did best during the game. (Alix Queen )

During the tournament, sophomore Shae Earle remembers how excited and hyped everyone was for the game.

Our offense was very strong and our defense was on point. We made a lot of shots and our defense didn’t let them make a lot of shots,” said Earle.

Earle expects the game to be one of the season’s highlights and is driven to win her GAC games. A lot of memorable moments were made for the team during the tournament.

The girls have enjoyed the joys of athletic life at high school.

“My most memorable moment was definitely the locker room jam seshes we would have. It definitely got us pumped up and ready to play,” freshman Sicily Trost said. Trost is looking forward to the rest of the season, one with more memories, locker room talks and bus rides.