Eagles Off To Flying Start At First Track Meet

Richard wins 100 meters; veteran seniors stand out

Gavin Block

David Richard (12) in the lead in the 100 meter sprint at the opening track meet. He won the race with a time of 11.87 seconds.

Gavin Block, Reporter

The Liberty Eagles track and field team competed at their first meet of the season on Tuesday, March 22. The tri-meet placed Liberty against cross-district rivals Fort Zumwalt East and Fort Zumwalt South.

Head Coach Toby Glavin expressed high hopes for the overall season, especially with new faces coming in.

“We’ve got a much bigger team this year; we have about 30 more people than we’ve ever had,” Glavin said. “Also, there are new people moving into leadership roles. Our athletes that we’ve had over the last few years have done a really good job of building a good culture on our track team.”

In anticipation for the first meeting, Glavin stated that obtaining time records for the team will be pivotal in their development.

“We’re running a lot of open events and fewer relays so we can get a lot of times to start the year off and see where we’re at. We had time trials earlier which went very, very well with some great performances,” Glavin observed.

Although the weather was overcast and a sporadic drizzle was felt, this did not deter the day’s activities nor the spirit that was displayed.

The convention had a considerable showing of participants, especially as a green set of young Liberty athletes came out to compete for their first meet.

The coaches and more experienced athletes were seen encouraging and leading the fresh generation of contenders, serving as a testament to track and field’s good rapport and cooperative environment.

Liberty senior David Richard put on an exceptionally aquiline performance at the meet, taking part in the 100 meter, 200 meter and 300 meter sprints. Richard placed high in all three races, including a win in the 100 with a time of 11.87 seconds.

Nolan Schlattman (10) gains momentum as he runs to make an attempt at the pole vault. He cleared 2.59 meters (8 feet 6 inches). (Gavin Block)

Seniors Ally Kruger and Karlie Wooten also shined with imposing athletic executions. At the 200 meter sprint, Wooten came in at 27.97 seconds, cutting out the competition like a hot knife through butter. Kruger finished the 800 meter race at 2:26. Kruger and Wooten were both in the 400 sprint; they finished the contest with a time of 61.32 seconds and 61.90 seconds, respectively.

Ally Kruger has been a part of the school’s track and field team since she was a freshman. During her time as a competitor, she has won a state cross country championship and broken a pre-existing 30-year-old record for the 1600 meter run.

David Richard is also a very decorated track athlete, holding records for multiple events. Even though he has only been part of the team since his junior year, he has broken school records for the 200, 300, and 400 meter races.

Junior Charlie Hebden competed in the 100m and 400m races at the meet. He finished first out of all Liberty athletes in the latter event, crossing the finish line in 53.40 seconds.

Sophomore Connor Place broke the school record in the junior varsity 300 meter hurdles with an astounding time of 44.96 seconds.

At the pole vault event, junior Payton Guffey cleared an impressive height of 2.90 meters (9 feet 6 inches).

Junior Savannah Meyer gave an unparalleled performance in the throwing competitions. She broke the school record for the discus throw, marking in at an immense distance of 31.76 meters (104 feet).

The Eagles will travel to Holt High School for the varsity Pow Wow meet on Monday, April 4.