Students And Staff Contribute To The ‘Sleep In Heavenly Peace’ Organization

40 beds are donated to local families in need

Senior+Nick+Mead+uses+a+drill+on+wood+to+fix+a+bed.+

submitted by Derrick Kingery

Senior Nick Mead uses a drill on wood to fix a bed.

Emily Barnett, Reporter

It’s easy to think about families that are struggling across the globe and feel the urge to help out. It is however rare to think about the struggle that others face in our own backyards. This spring, students and staff got together to help make and donate beds to “Sleep In Heavenly Peace” to benefit those in their own community. 

“Sleep in Heavenly Peace” was started by a father and son, who on Christmas one year realized they were very blessed. Having realized they have everything they need, used their Christmas money to buy materials and build a bed. The father and son donated the bed to a family in need and a few months later they were contacted by the family asking if they had more beds. The father and son agreed to make more beds. Since then, the program has grown tremendously and provided beds for several families who are in need across the country. The organization will help kids in our local area get a bed if they need a bed. The “Sleep In Heavenly Peace” organization’s motto is “No kid sleeps on the floor in our town.” 

When a family requests a bed, the group will go to the home and set everything up, including a mattress and bedding.

Liberty teachers Mrs. Bollwerk, Mrs. Sachs, and Ms. Pizzo worked together on collecting monetary donations from staff for bedding. Bollwerk and Sachs had plans to take their students to Target to purchase bedding for the beds that were donated. Unfortunately, the group did not get to have an in-person shopping opportunity due to inclement weather, but they did shop online.

Mrs. Sachs and her students receive a shipment of all the bedding that will be donated to the “Sleep in Heavenly Peace” organization.

“I think it was a great opportunity to give back to the community. I loved getting my students involved with something to give back,” Sachs said. 

Woodshop teacher Mr. LaBrot brought 15 different woodshop students to Timberland High School on April 14 to make bunk beds to donate. Each of the four Wentzville high schools brought around 15 kids to Timberland. They all met at the football field concessions area and used supplied materials and tools. The students helped to assemble the beds.

My favorite part was probably operating the saw,” said senior Derrick Kingery, who was one of the 15 students from Liberty who went to help. “We had groups of three being on the saws. My group was the first who had the saws so we had to cut over 400 boards and that was for the bed frames.”

LaBrot believes that it’s common for kids to get a bad rap from adults, but they do have a strong desire to help others.

“It was great to see such a large group of high school kids come together to do something based on kindness for a cause greater than themselves,” LaBrot said. The event was double the size of their previously largest event. The students made 40 beds were made for those in need.