Signing Day: Student-Athletes Make It Official

Alexis+Shuster+answers+questions+from+athletic+director+Mr.+Eldredge+on+signing+day.+

Sydney Davis

Alexis Shuster answers questions from athletic director Mr. Eldredge on signing day.

Ella Quinney, Reporter

On the first day of National Signing Day, 11 Liberty athletes made their next chapter in their education official. They signed a national letter of intent to continue their athletic careers Wednesday morning, Nov. 9. 

Signing day is when student-athletes, who have received scholarships for their sports, are asked questions about how they got to where they are and what their plans are for their futures. They were joined in the gym by family, friends and coaches.  

All 11 students who attended signing day were recruited for their ability in their respective athletic fields. However, these students aren’t only going to these schools for their athletic programs, but also for their future careers.

Alexis O’Mara, who was recruited by Rockhurst University for her track and field skills, chose to go to Rockhurst because of their excellent business program. Her dream is to be an accountant, and she believes that their program was best suited for her and her career path.

Not all of these students know what direction they want to take in their lives. Mia Wikoff, who decided to go to Fontbonne for her excellent soccer skills, hasn’t quite decided what career to take on. All she knows is that it’ll most likely involve one of her two passions: art and English. 

The scholarships these students received for their athletic abilities will help them pay for college, and pave the way for their future careers. 

As Robert Collier said, “Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out.” The students here at LHS exemplify this, and we look forward to seeing them spread their wings and fly from Libert’s nest.

Students’ Scholarships’: What and Where they’re going

Sam Kozlowski-Softball East Central College

Alexis Shuster-Soccer Austin Peay University

Emily Northcutt-Rowing Kansas State University

Rachel Skyberg-Soccer Bellarmine University

Savannah Meyer-Volleyball Arkansas Tech University

Vito Signaigo-Rowing Milwaukee School of Engineering

Aidan Cole-Baseball St. Charles Community College

Alexis O’Mara-XC/Track and Field Rockhurst University

Seth Benes-Baseball Indiana University

Mia Wikoff-Soccer Fontbonne University

Riley Watson-Volleyball Fontbonne University