Liberty Legacies: Hannah Kerr

A look into where one of Liberty’s alumni is today

submitted by Hannah Kerr

Hannah Kerr stands ready to coach the Boys Swim team during 2022 state.

Lilly Brown, Reporter

For Hannah Kerr, swimming was a huge influence on her future career.

Kerr graduated in 2018 from Liberty High School and made the full circle back to being involved at the school. Kerr is currently finishing her degree in teaching at Lindenwood. She is also student teaching social studies at Frontier Middle School with Mr. Stratman as her cooperating teacher.

Along with finding her passion in teaching, she is continuing her passion with swim. She was a part of the Liberty girls swim team all four years of her high school career and is now she is the head coach of Liberty boys swim, along with assistant coaching girls swim.

Kerr helped lead the boys team to state with six swimmers participating. She also created an amazing environment for all the swimmers.

“I have had a few jobs before this, but the experiences I have had this year only positively solidified my career path choices,” Kerr said.

In high school, she was very passionate about swim. She helped contribute to three consecutive GAC wins and even qualified and went to state her senior year.

“When you are in the moment, you do not fully understand how much you are going to miss those 5 a.m. practices, those 8:30 p.m. meets, the exhaustion after an intense practice, and the team inside jokes while we stuff ourselves at pasta parties,” Kerr expressed.

Kerr on her pre-senior year trip to Italy. (submitted by Hannah Kerr)

Swimming is definitely not a breeze of a sport, but it helped Kerr find her passion.

“Those moments helped define my love for the sport and those who I shared those experiences with as well as myself,” Kerr said.

Coach Taylor Whitmore coached Kerr her senior year of swim. She explains how Kerr was in high school.

Whitmore stated, “She was an excellent leader on the team and was truly a team player who wanted everyone to succeed. It is no surprise that Hannah has gone on to pursue a career as a teacher and has begun coaching at Liberty High School.”

Along with swimming, Kerr also helped manage football her junior and senior year.

“My involvement in these activities definitely helped shape me as the person I am today. I was able to refine skills such as leadership, communication, empathy, problem solving, and accountability,” Kerr explains.

“I am very lucky to have coached her and look forward to coaching with her on the girls swim and dive team this winter,” Whitmore says.

Kerr has made the full circle back to Liberty and many are happy to see how far she’s come.