LHS Looks to Spread Holiday Cheer With Toy Drive

The annual holiday event runs until Dec. 9

Josh Deters

A box containing donations to the toy drive sits in the hallway.

Josh Deters, Reporter

The toy drive is an annual event, which is sponsored by HOSA this year, where students and their families can donate gift items to families in need. The event began on Nov. 7 and will end on Dec. 9. Any items you purchase for the toy drive can be dropped off in Ms. Strathman’s room (425).

Strathman says it’s important to donate to the toy drive, mentioning the joy and support that a toy can bring to a child.

“Toy donations bring happiness to the children in the hospital and give them support. Children need the fun time as a distraction and they can also learn and develop more, using their imagination and creativity,” Strathman said. “The toys are used year-round for celebrating important milestones like birthdays, anniversaries and the end of treatments like chemotherapy or radiation. They’re also used as rewards after patients complete a difficult task or procedure during their course of treatment.”

Strathman mentioned a list of good items to donate, including: “Toys for infants and toddlers, gifts for teenagers, washable markers and colored pencils, new books for all ages, Lego sets for all ages, canvases, sketch pads, drawing paper, coloring books (especially for teens), and action figures are in high demand right now.”

Sophomore HOSA member Zac Jose commented on the significance of the toy drive.

“The donations often make the kids who get the toys happy, and I feel as if it should be a fundamental human right to happiness so these kids still have the same happiness as others their age on Christmas,” Jose said.