The Gym Changed My Life

Working out changed my life and can change yours too

Lilly Brown

Me working out at The Renaud Center in spring of 2022.

Lilly Brown, Reporter

When I was about 12 and a half, my parents had signed me up for a class to learn about the different machines at the gym and how to use them. Little did I know how much it would change for me.

Years after that class, I only worked out a tiny bit. I worked out with my dad who taught me more and more how to weight lift and other ways to work out.

When I was in my freshman year, I ended my spring sport. I was very bored and starting to get out of shape since I had been a three season athlete that year. My mental health had also started to decline and I was not doing a very good job of handling it. I ate very unhealthily and was barely active.

My mom suggested I try to go to the gym more regularly. My feelings about that were very negative. I was nervous to workout because I had little experience and I was scared of being judged.

Little did I know, all I needed was a small push to start up on my fitness journey.

When I started going back to the gym, I realized I had remembered quite a bit from years past. I also observed other people to learn how to workout.

However, I’m not here to explain about how I learned. I’m here to explain how it changed my life and how it can change others too.

My boyfriend, Austin, and I working out at the gym together. (Lilly Brown)

After learning to workout, I started trying to go to the gym most days. I learned that working out improved my state of mind and here’s why.

Working out would be my escape. I would go to the gym to take my mind off of everything around me. I would just turn on my music and focus on the workout in front of me.

Working out also helped me cope. As I fell into a depressed state of mind, I found that I could cope in a healthy way. I could just go to the gym and lift some weights to work myself.

Another reason also would be that working out releases positive endorphins.

Harvard Health Publishing wrote that, “It stimulates the production of endorphins, chemicals in the brain that are the body’s natural painkillers and mood elevators. Endorphins are responsible for the feelings of relaxation and optimism that accompany many hard workouts.”

Working out also boosted my confidence. After learning workouts I could see my progress more and more. I could see how I was getting stronger and the more weight I was adding. I

Exercise 3 times a week for 45 minutes, and you can help prevent signs of aging. (Lilly Brown)

also saw how my body was changing and adding more muscle to it.

My job currently was influenced by my fitness journey. I am a gym attendant at The Renaud Center where I help others if they have questions about a machine. I also do the boring job of cleaning. But being able to watch people work on their goals is the motivation I use while working out.

I have built friendships and use the gym as a place to hangout. My boyfriend and I will occasionally try to go together which is nice because he helps me learn new stuff.

The only issue is that you can get obsessed with working out. However, as long as you keep a balanced workout and take breaks as you need, you got this!

The reason I’m writing this is because I think everyone should work out. It has so many benefits and is a good way to help stay healthy for the rest of your life.