There’s No Place like GSA

The inclusive club where everyone feels at home

From+left+to+right%3B+juniors+Jordyn+Rector+and+Paxton+Linnemeyer+compose+two+out+of+four+members+on+the+Gay+Straight+Alliance+%28GSA%29+committee.+They+discuss+details+for+their+plans+this+year+at+the+club+table+at+SLAMM+Day.+

Lauren Spakowski

From left to right; juniors Jordyn Rector and Paxton Linnemeyer compose two out of four members on the Gay Straight Alliance (GSA) committee. They discuss details for their plans this year at the club table at SLAMM Day.

Melana Quarles, Reporter

GSA is all about the people behind it.

“People find happiness through human connection, and that is something very prevalent in GSA,” junior Kristian Mehu said.

It’s always growing and wanting to recruit new people. Right now they have around 25 members.

“I’m one of the original faces so seeing people join and be comfortable brings me joy,” Mehu said.

GSA started just last year when group of students approached Mrs. Wooten to be their sponsor. She was the GSA sponsor at Timberland, and wanted to start a chapter at Liberty but felt it needed to be “student driven”; coincidentally, shortly after students approached her about being a sponsor.

“I have a passion for all students,” Wooten said.

Meetings are from 2:30-3:30, every other Thursday and they consist of talking about their highs and lows, and also talking about different events in the world and how they affect the gay community. For example, Trump’s ban of transgenders in the military.

“It’s a place of support, for developing and sharing ideas,” Mehu said.

One of GSA’s biggest challenges is advertisement. They have discussed different ways to get their club out there, like making t-shirts or signs.

In the future, they plan to spend part of meetings discussing and processing what’s going on in their lives and then furthering the recently started subcommittees to get more work done – like recruiting new members, and doing social activities like teaming up with other clubs.

“Planning different events so the community knows about us,” Mrs. Wooten said. “It’s inclusive, it doesn’t matter who you are. Everybody accepts you just the way you are. It’s a very welcoming place to be.”  This is a special, rare and important environment in a high school setting.