Faculty vs. Seniors to Battle at Annual Basketball Game

The money raised at the game goes to a memorial scholarship fund in honor of former teacher Scott Swofford

Anumitha Vaka and Kaya Egeler

Kaya Egeler

The seniors and staff go head-to-head in the annual game.

Henry Sartain, Reporter

The time is almost here for one of Liberty’s most entertaining events. The annual seniors vs. faculty Swofford Memorial Basketball Game will be played during NEST Time on April 6.

This game is a way to raise money and it was all put together to honor one teacher. Scott Swofford was a teacher and a coach who worked in the Wentzville School District many years ago. He taught at both Holt and Timberland. Coach Swofford sadly passed away, but he was not forgotten. His wife and kids decided to honor him with a memorial game which has now become an annual tradition for all the high schools in the district.

Runa Swofford is the wife of Scott Swofford. Ms. Swofford worked as a para in the special education department at Holt High School. She also worked as a coach for varsity. Once Timberland opened, she transferred there to continue her line of work. After 12 years, she accepted a position of the main office and stayed there for her last 14 years. Now she looks forward to this game every year.

This wonderful annual event makes me feel blessed, proud, happy and excited seeing everyone having such a fun time. I’m in awe of how much everyone is so willing to make it the huge success it is, and I love seeing all the smiling faces.

— Runa Swofford

“I really don’t feel like the Swofford Seniors vs. Faculty Basketball Game is to ‘honor’ Coach Swofford. It is more like our way to honor the senior class,” Ms. Swofford said.

Ms. Swofford expressed how much Coach Swofford loved teaching his students and players. She believes that this is what he would want to give back for all the amazing years he had at the district. All the money from this event will go to the Scott Swofford Memorial Foundation. This event will award two seniors a $1,000 scholarship, but the more money we raise the more scholarships will be awarded.

Mr. Bradley Smith is a part of the faculty team. This is the first time that Mr. Smith has participated in the game and he is really excited for it.

“I feel great, I’m excited. I was watching last year and thinking to myself ‘why am I not playing?’, so this year I was determined to play,” Smith said. 

Mr. Smith explains how the event is an amazing way to raise money for the students who will be given scholarships.

“It’s a lot of fun, it’s exciting. Last year, I think, was the first year we did it during an assembly, but I really liked that. ‘Cause the gym is packed and all the students are there,” Smith said. He is looking forward to once all the students fill the stands and cheer with excitement.

Many people around the school have stated that this is an exciting event that happens every year. The students and staff all look forward to playing and seeing this game.

“This wonderful annual event makes me feel blessed, proud, happy and excited seeing everyone having such a fun time. I’m in awe of how much everyone is so willing to make it the huge success it is, and I love seeing all the smiling faces.” Ms. Swofford said.