Four Juniors Rewarded with $500 Cuivre River Scholarships

Students in Franke’s AP Language and Composition class are given the opportunity to write this essay each year

Cuivre River Electric Cooperative

The students who received $500 college scholarships. Pictured is Daniel Adams (Liberty), Christine Wehmeyer (Elsberry), Kaitlin Stumpf (Liberty), Caleb Stewart (Liberty) and Reese Douglas (Liberty).

Rynell Ipema, Reporter

After about a month of working on these essays periodically, four Liberty students take home $500 scholarships, used for their further education. The winners of this year’s scholarship are Daniel Adams, Kaitlin Stumpf, Caleb Stewart and Reese Douglas. 

“When we had time in class to work on the essay, we used it,” Mrs. Franke said. “But, I did encourage them to work on the essay at home too.” 

The Cuivre River scholarship essay is a contest where high school juniors, in the Cuivre River general area or receive Cuivre River’s electric service in their homes, write to compete for a fully paid trip to Washington D.C. or for a $500 scholarship.

This year’s topic was “My Favorite Cooperative Principle,” in which the students choose their favorite cooperative principle the Cuivre River electric company applies to their community. 

Daniel Adams, winner of $500 scholarship, says writing the essay was a great opportunity to win money for college. 

“My favorite cooperative principle was both Democratic Membership Control and Voluntary and Open Membership,” Adams said. “I liked these two because democratic membership control is just a smaller scale of our government and open voluntary membership is more natural, meaning there aren’t any contracts to break.” 

For more information about Cuivre River Scholarship opportunities or questions about your electricity, visit https://www.cuivre.com/