Power of Veganism

14-year-old Cody Johns makes a major change in his lifestyle

Cody Johns has been a vegan since 5th grade.

Emily Goodwin, Reporter

Freshman Cody Johns has taken a major lifestyle change that most teens wouldn’t be willing to take.

Since he was only 10 years old, Johns has practiced veganism. He uses no animal products whatsoever. Whether it’s food or products for his hygiene, Johns said that he decided to switch his diet completely because of the way the animals are treated while in slaughterhouses.  

“It’s not a quick death,” he said. “They slowly suffer as they die. Even waiting to be killed, they’re suffering.”

This choice has impacted his social life. Johns is doing this alone; no friends or family is doing this diet with him. He has to avoid eating at certain restaurants because they do not serve vegan food.

“I have a lot of respect in his decision,” freshman Bri Mills said.

Johns has to also look closely at food labels and their ingredients so he doesn’t accidentally eat something he has been working hard to avoid. His choices have also impacted his diet.

“This has made me so much healthier than I was,” Johns said. He does not only avoid animal products to eat, but he also avoids all junk food. He says that he maintains to eating only vegetables and fruits and rarely eats anything other than that.

Although what Johns is doing may be little, he is still making an impact on our world. And maybe after reading this, you will change the way you eat and do something amazing for our world.