• May 7 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 2, Howell Central - 8
  • May 7 / Liberty High School - 0, Timberland - 3
  • May 7 / Boys Varsity VolleyballLiberty High School - 1, Zumwalt West - 2
  • May 6 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 6, North Point - 1
  • May 6 / Girls Varsity SoccerLiberty High School - 1, Zumwalt South - 2

Reading Literature Has Many Benefits

How do faculty and students view printed paper?
Madelyn Tierney
Brielle Vassel, a freshman and an avid reader, with “Broken Throne” by Victoria Aveyard.

Reading has been proven to provide many benefits to your mental and physical well being. It can improve your vocabulary and comprehension, increase empathy, fight depressive symptoms and lower your blood pressure and heart rate. Liberty seems to agree with this, as Noah Stewart, a freshman, says “Reading books can help you with certain essays.”

Stewart reads about a book every month and likes to read because he loves the stories. He mainly reads dystopian, horror, and historical fiction. He has recently read “Hunger” by Michael Grant, and “Anne From Green Gables” by Lucy Maud Montgomery. He wants to read more books and know more about what’s going on in the world.

Addison McCarthy, a freshman, reads every other day and enjoys fantasy and realistic fiction novels. She believes others should read more, as well.

“I think if other people gave it a chance, they would enjoy it,” McCarthy said.

I think if other people gave it a chance, they would enjoy it.

— Addison McCarthy (9)

Mary Barcroft, a substitute teacher, agrees that some people should read more in accordance with their lifestyle. She reads every day, because she doesn’t like doing nothing and it is most natural for her, as she has read since she was 4 years old. She likes almost every genre and is currently reading “The First Ladies” by Marie Benedict and Victoria Christopher Murray.

“It’s like reading history,” Barcroft said. She also keeps up with the news day-to-day through articles from “The Washington Post,” “The New York Times,” as well as AP and Reuters. She trusts good journalism, and can quickly tell when something needs to be fact-checked. She does not watch the news, however, finding it has too many opinions.