• May 7 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 2, Howell Central - 8
  • May 7 / Liberty High School - 0, Timberland - 3
  • May 7 / Boys Varsity VolleyballLiberty High School - 1, Zumwalt West - 2
  • May 6 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 6, North Point - 1
  • May 6 / Girls Varsity SoccerLiberty High School - 1, Zumwalt South - 2

They Aren’t Eagles, But They’re Pretty Cute

Students and staff share stories about their pets

Do you have a four-legged, furry creature that you hold in the bottom of your heart? Or, maybe even a four-legged scaly beast who you love over all else? Well, not to fear, almost everyone does. No matter where you go, you can always find someone with a pet that they love, each one cuter than the last. Some of the Liberty students and staff share their pets with us.

Mr. Schaper’s pet cats, Wendy and Lemon. (submitted by Mr. Schaper)

The highly-idolized teacher Mr. Schaper brought his two cats to the table. His cats, Wendy and Lemon are fun loving and quite adorable. “They like to take naps and climb on me,” Schaper said. “They will dig their claws into me and then scale up me, like a mountain.” When they aren’t taking naps or conquering Mount Schaper, Lemon and Wendy enjoy playing hide and seek or, on occasion, they enjoy a good tussle with each other. Schaper’s favorite thing about his two cats was their dynamic. ”Wendy is very social, which is weird because she’s a Maine Coon, while Lemon is your more typical isolated cat.”

Sophomore Kayleigh Tierney shares with us her pet tortoise, Armor. Tierney and Armor love watching movies together, they’d both go as far to say that it’s their favorite thing to do together. Believe it or not, there is an interesting story as to how this movie loving duo met. “We found him on the side of the road, so we had to take him in,” Tierney said.  This honorable deed soon paid off, as she fell in love with him immediately.

Kayleigh Tierney’s pet tortoise named Armor. (submitted by Kayleigh Tierney)

Senior student William Gambell has an interesting pet, a pet Pineapple Conure he named Tiki. Tiki is a playful and social bird, whose favorite thing to do is complain. Tiki is an incredible bird, “She’s smart, She can understand most English words and will even bother people if I ask her to,” Gambell said. “She knows tons of tricks, her favorite of them is ‘dead bird’, she (Tiki) just flops over and, well, plays dead. She can even hang upside down, like a bat.”

Unfortunately, not all news is good. When it comes to Mr. Eversole’s dog, Basmati, the worst could have happened. Over this past summer, Mr. Eversole and his wife adopted a new dog. This dog quickly became accustomed to Mr. Eversole. “She was the first dog ever to really be mine. I have one other dog, but my fiance has owned that dog longer than she’s known me, so it’s definitely her dog.” After a while, Eversole started to notice a lump on the back of Basmati. Anxious, he took her to the vet, where the vet told him that the lump could be cancerous, but they needed more information. Eversole quickly forked over the money and got another test as well as treatment for Basmati. Luckily for Eversole and his wife, Basmati’s tumor was non-cancerous and was completely removed. With just a few weeks in a cone, Basmati was back to her old self and ready for formal training.