• May 7 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 2, Howell Central - 8
  • May 7 / Liberty High School - 0, Timberland - 3
  • May 7 / Boys Varsity VolleyballLiberty High School - 1, Zumwalt West - 2
  • May 6 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 6, North Point - 1
  • May 6 / Girls Varsity SoccerLiberty High School - 1, Zumwalt South - 2

Goodbye, Yellow Brick Road

Eagle Marching Regiment performs one final time at showcase and bids farewell to 17 seniors
Donald Johnson
Liberty Eagle Regiment seniors at the senior night football game.

The Liberty Eagle Marching Regiment said goodbye to its 2023 marching band season on Oct. 24 as they performed at North Point High School for the 2023 District Band Showcase. The bands performing were: Liberty, Timberland, North Point and Holt.

All four bands played the national anthem together led by newly retired Jim Cunningham. After the anthem, Liberty was the first band performing kicking off the showcase performing “If I Only Had A Heart,” which is a “Wizard of Oz” inspired performance. They were followed by Timberland, North Point and Holt with their marching band performances.

Erika Kertz spins a saber at the Belleville West competition on Oct. 7. (Donald Johnson)

What Will You Miss About the Marching Band?

“The Memories and the fun stories we get to tell.” – Senior Leah Dunlap, Trumpet.

“I won’t be able to do it much anymore.” – Senior Patrick Stankovich, Trombone. 

“I’ve met a lot of friends through the marching band. It made me a better musician.” – Senior Connor Higlen, Saxophone.

Words of Advice to Future Marching Band Members

“Try your best. It will all be worth it. Practice, and stay in the band.” – Dunlap

Stick with it.” – Stankovich 

“Have fun, live in the moment, and be open to learning new things.” – Higlen

Farewell Seniors 

Liberty’s marching band is sad to see 17 marching band seniors perform one final time. 

“I am very sad, and heartbroken that the seniors are leaving,” freshman color guard member Gabby Young said. “I have looked up to a lot of them as mentors. They have taught me so much and really made me feel welcome. They have sparked my passion for colorguard and I cannot thank them enough.” 

“It’s sad,” Stankovich said. “I’ve always loved marching band. Even before I was involved in it.” 

Although this is the end of their high school marching days, no matter where life takes them next Liberty’s Eagle Regiment will never forget the impact the seniors have made on their band members, and the memories they shared.