AMI Days: What You Need To Know About This New Change

You’ve probably received a lot of emails from administrators and teachers about AMI days, but what are they and what do you need to know in order to prepare for them in the future? Students received information about this change in the previous Nest News email dated Jan. 26, so for more information please refer to that email. 
Alternate+Methods+of+Instruction+%28AMI%29+days+is+a+new+system+implemented+in+the+Wentzville+School+District+that+will+replace+snow+days+with+virtual+learning+days.+
Anumitha Vaka
Alternate Methods of Instruction (AMI) days is a new system implemented in the Wentzville School District that will replace snow days with virtual learning days.

What Are AMI Days? 

After we have used up our six built-in snow days, we will use Alternate Methods of Instruction (AMI) days for all other future snow days. This is to prevent future make-up days taking away from our summer break. This also helps keep students on track with their learning, keeping them engaged. The DESE (Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education) has allowed the school district to count up to 36 hours (five snow days) of instruction through AMI. 

Assistant principal Dr. Kiely gave us her insight as to what AMI days were and how they are going to benefit students.

“AMI Days are going to be days to help us prevent adding days onto our calendar,” Kiely said. “It also holds students accountable for work that they can do at home so we can stay on track. Sometimes we have snow days or days where we are off many days in a row, so kids get off balance or off of their typical routine. So AMI days provide a routine for all students to stay on track, and be able for us to continue on with material when we are back in school instead of having to review so much.”

On AMI days, families will be notified by the school each morning that that day is an AMI day. Students are then expected to check their Canvas classes or email for information from their teacher about that day’s assignments by 8:30 a.m. Student attendance will be marked by the completion and turning in of assignments to teachers whether online on Canvas or in-person on the next in-person school day. During AMI days teachers will be available electronically by email for any questions.  

Overall, although this new change gets rid of those beloved lazy snow days we will still be able to stay cozy inside our homes during these AMI days. Although, these snow days will help students stay on track and prevent us from losing days from our even more beloved summer break.