Custodian Shares His Passions And Faith

Roy Caudill offers a glimpse into his career along with his pastimes and hobbies
Janelle Alvarez
LeRoy Caudill wipes down tables after lunch ends. He has been working in schools for 30 years.

While it’s his fifth year at Liberty as a custodian, Mr. Roy Caudill has been working in schools for 30 years. He previously held a maintenance position at Orchard Farm where he would make various repairs as needed.

“I used to do plumbing; I used to do drywall; I used to do everything,” Caudill said.

Having recently moved, Caudill decided working closer to his new home would be a good idea. With this location change, he decided it was time to switch up his actual job as well.

“Once I left Orchard Farm, I thought ‘You know, I don’t want to be in maintenance anymore,'” Caudill said. “So I figured, well I can clean rooms–that sounds like a pretty nice job.”

In addition to his professional life, Caudill finds joy in biking, especially during the summertime’s ideal weather. He owns a Can-Am and enjoys riding it through the less traveled back roads.

“Back in my teens, my first motorcycle was a 750, and my mom helped me out–she cosigned for it. The rest is history,” Caudill said.

LeRoy Caudill breaks down tables after lunch has ended. (Anthony Bruns)

While he frequently rides by himself, he enjoys doing it with others as well, being a member of a motorcycle group at his church, The Crossing.

Faith is important to Caudill. He can commonly be seen in the halls wearing a sizable cross chain necklace.

When asked what the cross meant to him, he said, “It’s faith. It’s hope. Hope always wins. With all the madness that’s going on in the world we all need some kind of faith. The cross is more of a declaration than it is ‘I have to have that cross on.’”

Caudill didn’t always have this perspective, though. Like many others, his outlook on life has changed over time.

“I was raised Catholic and then later I kind of fell out of the nest,” said Caudill. “Years later me and my wife were watching TV and she asked me ‘Hey, have you ever heard this one guy speak?’ The pastor’s name was Dave Craig, and it was the first church we started going to.”

For students who’ve had the chance to speak to him, Caudill is known for his friendly demeanor and willingness to engage with people.

“In previous school years, when I had classes that had me moving around the building more often, I had the chance to get to know him,” said senior Logan Pettig. “Overall, he’s a very calming person and I hope that he enjoys retirement.”

As Caudill approaches retirement, his reflections on work speak to the bonds of camaraderie and mutual respect forged within the school community.

“I used to think the best part of the job was the kids,” Caudill said. “But it’s more about just knowing that I’m liked here and that I get along with the people. I just try to help out as best as I can.”