• May 17 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 0, Howell - 15
  • May 16 / Girls Varsity SoccerLiberty High School - 0, St. Dominic - 1
  • May 15 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 4, Timberland - 1
  • May 13 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 12, Howell North - 2

Nostalgia: Timeless and Priceless

Many different people experience a feeling of nostalgia in different ways during life
Loukya Vaka
Remarkably, the human mind latches on to things that we find most precious. These memories build the character that we embody, teach the lessons we respect, and remind us to never let go of what is meant to be cherished.

Nostalgia is defined as a sentimental affection for the past, usually for a time or place associated with happy memories. This special feeling has various forms and meanings for the many people who experience nostalgia. After all, as so many people go through different moments in life, each person holds something unique close to their heart.

Nostalgia can manifest itself as remembering a previous birthday or reminiscing about blowing out the candles. For others, a childhood toy is what an individual takes with them going forward. The sweet smell of flowers or the taste of warm Mac N’ Cheese unlocks memories of the past in a flash. And, the cycle continues as we grow from youngsters to older people reminiscing about the past as they rest after a long day. Nostalgia is an everlasting power that is enrooted in the past. It is eternal and strong in our feelings, sinking in resolutely. We can’t seem to let go of some things that specifically affect us, our brain holding them in a special place for us to obtain as a keepsake forever more. These meaningful memories visit us, leaving behind an indescribable feeling.

Nostalgia can be taken from places far and wide, as proven by Mr. Jarrett’s personal moments in life.

“Back when I was much younger, I ran and completed the London Marathon. And, coming across the finish line by Buckingham Palace is quite nostalgic to me,” Jarrett said. “Because of the amount of training and work you put into something like that, and then to actually finish it, it’s basically a job well done.

For Mrs. Holman, being able to see and reconnect with some of the new students that she had once taught as fourth graders has been a moment where she’s felt a sense of nostalgia.

It’s exciting for her to know that she’ll be seeing some past students who she once knew all those years ago.

“When I saw their parents again at parent-teacher conferences, they’re very excited, and it’s like a new, big place for them,” Holman said.

I think some people have that with family. Maybe they go to their grandparents’ house, and they feel that nostalgia of being a kid. I just think it’s all about connecting, and a lot of the good things in our life come from relationships and that connection to people.

— Mrs. Rosner

And, for some like Mrs. Rosner, being able to visit past high school and college buildings is a way to look back on some great years of growth and friendship.

“Part of nostalgia is that it connects you to people, it connects you to times in your life when you maybe made some pivotal decisions,” Rosner said.

Ultimately, it is clear that nostalgia is truly personal. 

Nostalgia is the smell of a mother’s cooking, knowing that her love shines through her work every day. Nostalgia is the path outside where a child was taught to ride a bike by their father, and where that same child fell off the bike only to be lifted by the same father who told them to keep going. Nostalgia is the sound of laughter after a sibling made an especially terrible joke that is somehow funny anyway. Nostalgia is the warmth of a hug that never changes. Nostalgia is the sound of music. Nostalgia is the smell of rain that somehow never fails to bring simple joy. Nostalgia is the love that lasts for an eternity, past the first hello and final goodbye. Nostalgia is a lesson that is learned from the realization of what happened before. 

Nostalgia is all of this, and it is so much more. In a way, nostalgia in itself is how life goes on.

In the end, what one person pens nostalgia as will never truly be the same as the next person who realizes their moments that escape time and measurable value. However, no matter how old we grow, as the world and people change with each passing day, let’s all hold on to the joy we receive from our past, no matter how big or small it may seem. Every small moment and word is what fuels each dream and hope, and it is our respect and acknowledgment that allow us to continue to become better, one step at a time.