Journey To College

Guidance sets up Apply Day to make it easier for students to complete college applications

Mrs.+Gerringer+helped+students+with+questions+about+the+college+application+process+on+Apply+Day.+

Maddie Baker

Mrs. Gerringer helped students with questions about the college application process on Apply Day.

Taylor Cunningham, Reporter

As the deadlines get closer, Liberty High School has a plan to help its seniors get in their college applications just in time. To help students finish their applications, school counselor Mrs. Gerringer created a day just for them.

Apply day was an event set up on Oct. 25 to help seniors finish their applications to whatever colleges they were interested in. The whole idea was that seniors were given a chance during their day to go down to the career center and finish filling out applications if they signed up for it.

They were given chances to win prizes and they got snacks for even just showing up and signing their name.

Apply day was an initiative from the “journey to college” program. Next year, Gerringer wants to make the event with sessions more theme based, so each time slot focuses on different areas/types of colleges.

When Mrs. Gerringer was in school, a day like this wasn’t around.

“They didn’t have a day like this but I wish they would have,” she said.

Mrs. Gerringer made a stressful process somewhat enjoyable and keep students on track. To help support the students, teachers and other staff members were asked to wear their college gear.

Senior Sarah Eplett attended apply day and was applying to St. Charles Community College.

“It was mainly for people actually looking into universities,” Eplett said. She went down to the career center with some questions about a school in New York she was interested in.