Walking for Credit

The underrated fitness class is ‘a good break during the day’

Fitness walking 7th period students enjoy the nice fall weather. Fitness walking is a great way for a brain break and helps you get thoughts rolling throughout the day.

Emma Hankins, Reporter

Fitness walking 7th period students.

How can walking for 50-minutes a day be a class? For many students, it is.

After taking an initial year of P.E., there’s a requirement for one more credit. Students can choose from weightlifting, personal fitness, a few other options and of course fitness walking.

“This is my favorite class because we go outside every day as long as it’s not raining,” Kleekamp said.

Coach Kleekamp is a hard working, easy going and nice person. Always switching it up, she takes her students on different routes each day. She walks her classes through neighborhoods, around the school and on the track.

“This is my favorite part of the day, to be honest. All you do is walk and talk with your friends,” said sophomore Melanie Wallace.

Fitness walking is a great way for a brain break and helps you get thoughts rolling throughout the day.

“Exercise enhances academic performance by increasing blood flow, releasing serotonin, and stimulating your brain,” said Mrs. Hall, who is an avid runner and exercise enthusiast.

Students who take the course like it because of how fun it is.

“I like how we don’t walk in the same places every day,” said Isabel Martinez.

Madelyn Birk enjoys how fitness walking is different from most courses. Some students don’t like the class, just how most courses are.

“At least it’s a good break during the day,” said sophomore Madelyn Birk.

This class is comprised mostly of sophomores who want to complete their physical education requirement.  

“Fitness walking is a good class and probably the best option to take,” said sophomore Alek Moore.

If a student is needing their second credit, fitness walking seems to be the best bet.