The student news site of Wentzville Liberty High School

One in Four People

Eighty people donate blood at HOSA’s Blood Drive

On November 3rd, 80 people were able to donate blood, each person saving up to three lives.

Sarah Downs

Sarah Downs

McKenzie Bartels, Reporter

Not only do you get to miss class and are offered free chips and cookies, but you have the opportunity to make a difference and save a life.

One in four people will need a blood transfusion sometime in their life and donating blood can save up to three.

Hosting a blood drive takes a lot of time, especially the preparation before it. Junior Marjori Russo took on the task of hosting the blood drive with the help of many other students that are involved in HOSA.

The preparation began about a month and a half before the blood drive. This all included gathering a committee, meeting with Mississippi Valley to set up dates, working sign ups and spreading information throughout the school.

The goal was for 80 people to donate blood and they hit that number exactly.

The sponsor of HOSA, Mrs. Strathman couldn’t be happier with the turnout of the blood drive.

“I was so happy we reached our goal of 80 donations. There was also very few people that got sick after donating blood which we were also happy with,” she said.

There is going to be another blood drive around Valentine’s Day, and the goal is for more people to sign up and donate blood.

Before you donate blood, you need to be prepared of what to expect. It’s a long process, but if you’re brave enough to do it then it can help save lives.

“I want to help people realize that donating blood isn’t all that bad. One person can save three lives and those lives saved are stories that resonate with friends and family. Blood drives are a way for people to come together under one purpose, to help give the sick and injured another chance,” Russo said.

There are four different parts to donating blood – the first being registration.

After registration, you will have to complete a mini physical. This physical will check your pulse, blood pressure, body temperature and hemoglobin. If all these things are good, then you are free to move on.

The next step is the actual donating blood part. It normally takes around 8-10 minutes to donate blood.

After you donate blood is when you get to eat snacks and rest. They provided all kinds of snacks including chips and cookies.

Whether you believe it’s the right thing to do or you were asked by a friend, the need for blood is constant and your contribution is important, and after you’ll feel good knowing that you were able to save lives.