Doing Big Things

Claire Roberts starts a non-profit organization for sex trafficking and assault victims

Roberts+creates+a+non-profit+organization+for+sexual++assault+and+sex+trafficking++victims+
Roberts creates a non-profit organization for sexual  assault and sex trafficking  victims

Roberts creates a non-profit organization for sexual assault and sex trafficking victims

photo by o.holler

photo by o.holler

Olivia Holler, Co-Editor-in-Chief of Magazine

Many people want to make a difference but usually don’t know how to start or begin but senior Claire Roberts had the opportunity through the Ignite program to legitimize a non-profit organization for sex trafficking and assault victims.

“My nonprofit is called Instrument of Safety and its goal is to help survivors of sexual assault and sex trafficking recover and achieve self love,” said Roberts.

She started with gathering information, researching and planning and went from there.  

“It started with a passion and just talking to people which lead me to the ignite program and gave me the support to follow through with kick starting instrument of safety and opening to a whole new level of resources that I didn’t know was accessible to a person at such a young age,” said Roberts.

Mr.Jarrett has been a mentor to Roberts and has helped her get the project legalized and off the ground.

“I had her look up and investigate topics relating to non for profit, there’s two different ways nonprofit or 501 c 3 and we have talked to a lawyer through email that gave her some advice as to do the non-profit first so then go out to the IRS.gov and find some of the information out that way,” said Mr. Jarrett.  

Roberts also was motivated even when she was researching and found heartbreaking news about our city.

“I was inspired because STL is in the top 20 for sex trafficked cities in the US and this epidemic is happening in our own backyard and no one is talking about it,” said Roberts.

She wants to make a difference and help people who have been in this situation. Mr.Jarrett is impressed with the amount of dedication she has to make a difference in other people’s life.

“I’m very proud of what her idea, of helping others. Most of the other people in the class are more interested in making money where she is trying to make money but give it back to people in need,” said Mr. Jarrett. “That’s very admirable I think for her and I hope that through next semester and this she can actually help people that need help.”

Instrument of Safety currently is making slow progress but Roberts is in high hopes for the rest of year in terms of making the project launch. She is going to start fundraising at the first home basketball game.

If anyone would like to get involved you can contact Claire at [email protected].

About the Writer
Olivia Holler, Co-editor-in-chief Ledger magazine
Olivia is a senior and this is her fourth year as a member of the Ledger and first year as a member of the Talon yearbook. She is a co-editor-in-chief of the magazine. She is going to Mizzou for journalism next fall. Olivia loves to read, write, coloring and watching Netflix. Her favorite shows on...