Starting off Strong

Wrestling team looks to continue its success from last year

Cameron+Steinhoff+defeats+his+opponent+in+a+match+against+Holt+for+his+100th+career+win+making+him+the+first+Liberty+wrestler+to+do+so.+

Molly Morris

Cameron Steinhoff defeats his opponent in a match against Holt for his 100th career win making him the first Liberty wrestler to do so.

Chris Randolph, Reporter

The varsity wrestling team looks better than ever. After taking five wrestlers to state last year, the team finished out the season with a strong expectation for this year. 

“This is definitely the best varsity team Liberty has ever had,” senior Ben Leach said, who is wrestling at the weight of 132 pounds.

Bridget Morris
Ben Leach taking down his opponent for the win.

Aaron Steinhoff hopes that the Eagles can post a lot of victories this year.

“Scoring as many points as you can throughout the season is definitely a goal,” Steinhoff said, who is competing at 106. This is his first year on varsity and plans to to make it count.

The wrestling season is already off to a great start.

In their first action of the season, the Eagles swept St. Charles West, Westminster and Ritenour in a home meet.

“The team looked great out there and I definitely feel prepared about the match for tonight against Holt,” Leach said.

They traveled to Holt on Wednesday, but were not able to win the match losing 60-16. Even though they got defeated by Holt, they are now 3-1 and off to a great start. Teammate Cameron Steinhoff credits the coaching staff for what they already accomplished.  

“The coaches have been inspirational to us this year and they’re really getting us pumped for the season,” Cameron Steinhoff said. Steinhoff is wrestling at the weight of 113.

During the match against Holt, Cameron Steinhoff had his 100th win in his high school career.

Bridget Morris
Cameron Steinhoff getting ready to face his Westminster opponent.

“It was a pretty cool feeling and it got me more determined to finish the up the year as state champion,” Steinhoff said. He placed fifth at state a year ago.

The Liberty Eagles look to continue their success Friday at a tournament in Granite City.