Listening to Music During Class

Should students be able to listen to music during class?

Brandon+Hennis+listens+to+music+during+class.%0AI+listen+to+music+all+the+time%2C+Hennis+said.+I+never+come+to+school+without+my+earbuds.+It+helps+get+through+the+day.+

Katie Hill

Brandon Hennis listens to music during class. “I listen to music all the time,” Hennis said. “I never come to school without my earbuds. It helps get through the day.”

Katie Hill, Reporter

Teachers have different levels of flexibility when it comes to using phones in class. Some of them don’t care at all if you sit and text, and some make you put them away at certain times or don’t allow you to use them at all. Very few teachers allow students to listen to music while they are taking a test unless they are very laid back.

A lot of students want to be able to listen to music during tests but teachers don’t allow it in fear of distraction or cheating.

In my opinion, listening to music while taking a test should be allowed because it helps me tune out the people around me and focus on the test. The deafening silence distracts me when you can only hear the sound of the people around you filling in answers on their tests. I then start to look around the room instead of staying focused. The music helps me be more attentive to what I have in front of me.

A student could cheat using a phone, but just because their phone isn’t allowed out doesn’t mean they won’t find another method to use to cheat. The teacher could even make a simple rule that the phone has to be faced down on the desk while taking the test to eliminate cheating. While the idea of a phone being a distraction is true, it only applies if the student allows themselves to be distracted by it. It all depends on if the student wants to stay focused and get a good grade.

Listening to music during hard activities, such as taking a test, is known to improve the quality of the work you’re doing and helps your memory. Allowing students to listen to their music could help their test scores go up and improve their grades on a big scale.

If a teacher really doesn’t want students listening to music during a test with their phone, they could play music for the whole class so they could have more control. The problem is, people have a wide range of opinions on the type of music they like, so most likely, everyone wouldn’t agree on the music that is being played which could cause even more of a distraction.

Phones have negative effects and positive effects in a school environment, but I think allowing people to listen to music while they are taking tests will have a positive effect.