Dress for Success

The reason why dress codes are necessary and should not be changed

Sarah Martin

Every school is unique in it’s own way, but there’s one thing that they all have in common. They all have a dress code, whether it’s strictly enforced or not.

School dress codes are necessary for several reasons. There needs to be a guideline for what students can and cannot wear to school. However, many people disagree with some the rules.

Students have a lot of freedom to express themselves at school. For example, they can choose how to wear their hair, and they can choose what they wear, as long as it is school appropriate.

An inappropriately dressed student can be a distraction in the learning environment. It catches students off guard, and gives them something to talk about during class.

Some Liberty students have labeled dress codes as sexist against women. The rules are aimed more towards girls because the standard clothing options for a girl is far broader than that of a boy. The belief is that strictly limiting what girls can wear to school, because of hormonal teenage boys, is unfair to them. Although that is true, the strictness of the dress codes are absolutely necessary, for all genders.

A commonly discussed rule among Liberty students is not being able to show our shoulders.
It is important for students to be able express themselves at school, which can easily be done without breaking any of the rules.

It’s normal for people to disagree and want things to be different. But rules are necessary for society to remain smooth and efficient. They are not enforced to annoy people, and cause issues. There is a root to every rule that is created.

The purpose of coming to school is to gain an education. You can wear anything that you want outside of school. Certain sacrifices, pertaining to what you wear to school, can be made.