Run Like a Warrior

Run on Feb. 10 will help to raise money for the cross country program

Laura++Glavin+and+Gabe+Rompel+were+last+years+winners+of+the+5+mile+race.+

submitted by Coach Glavin

Laura Glavin and Gabe Rompel were last year’s winners of the 5 mile race.

Olivia Holler, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Cross country holds a special place in Mrs. Cunningham’s heart. She is ready to race and help support Liberty’s cross country program.

This will be my first time running the Liberty Trail Run, but I’m looking forward to it,” Mrs. Cunningham said. “Running in high school and college taught me so much about hard work and discipline, and gave me the love of fitness that I still have today.”

The trail race will help to raise money for the cross country program.

“The reason we need to raise money is because we’d like to take an overnight traveling trip every cross country season,” coach Glavin said. “It just helps pay for hotels and if we decide to take a charter bus.”

Anybody can participate in the event the race is open to the public and not just specific to the school.

“We’d like to put the race on but gear it towards making it a big public event,” said Mr. Glavin.

The race is on Saturday, Feb. 10, it starts at 9 a.m. at Broemmelsiek Park.

There are two different divisions of the race:

1. A 1.5 mile loop you can run or a 5 mile loop.  For the ½ mile run, it is $30 for pre-registration and $40 day of race.

2. The 5 mile is $40 for pre-registration and $50 for day of. There were 67 runners total and 20 volunteers who participated last year. They are hoping for 100 runners this year.

“Last year more people did the five mile loop but this year is seems like the registered people are half and half for each race,” Coach Glavin said.

Some of the participating athletes are Liberty staff members Mr. Pryor, Mrs. Cunningham and Mrs. Hallemeier.

Mr. Pryor is returning for year two of the event. He beat 7 or the 12 high school cross country runners in the 5 mile race.

“I like participating with other students and coaches. It is fun to do something challenging together,” Pryor said.

Mrs. Cunningham has competed in the in the Tough Mudders, Warrior Dashes and other obstacle courses. She ran cross country in high school.

Lastly, Mrs. Hallemeier’s medal collections include a lot of local high school track medals, five all-state medals in the shot and discus and gold medal in the 1990 state meet discus throw.

I’m racing to raise money for cross country. I will be hiking the race (not running) as an incentive to get in shape for my vacation this summer to Yellowstone National Park where my family and I will be hiking a ton,” Hallemeier said.

The trail race is not only a good way to raise money for cross country, but also to enjoy time, compete with fellow staff members, students and the others in the community.

Click here for the registration form :Liberty Trail Race Registration Form 2018  

submitted by Mr.Glavin